The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Going to look at 94 GSX, could use quick advice - what can cause low boost issue besides boost leak?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremo87

Proven Member
Mar 14, 2013
Decatur, Illinois
Going to look at a 1994 GSX that the seller says has developed a boost leak. He doesn't do the work on his car and has been waiting for a friend to help him fix it, but the friend hasn't had time the past couple days.

He says it won't go over 7lbs but doesn't notice anything else out of the ordinary.

What else could cause this besides a typical boost leak? He doesn't have a tester, and I don't have mine anymore - last turbo car I owned was 10 years ago.

If I can confirm it's a boost leak (not exactly sure how I'd do that) I'd like to get him to come down on the price and then find and fix it myself. But if there are other things that can cause a low boost issue, I might not want to touch it.

Whatcha all think?

Post more details regarding the car.

Is it completely stock or does it have mods?

Does it have Link?

Can you post a log?

No Link, and nope don't have a log to post.

The engine and trans were supposedly rebuilt 2300 miles ago - engine bored .20 over.

I'm adding pictures of the mod list he used in his craigslist ad.

Car has 98,000 miles on it.

Thanks for quick reply!

Attachments

• mods1.jpg
    mods1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 99
  • mods2.jpg
    mods2.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 85
  • mods3.jpg
    mods3.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 127
The way the guy describes things I'd be careful. If you have someone local who knows dsm's that would go with you it would help.

For example "forge intake, forge turbo, studded head". Those aren't terms people that know cars usually use.

Sounds like 2k$ car at best in my book. Mods don't add value 90% of the time.

Oh yeah I know...I can tell he doesn't know what he's selling. I'm definitely going to be as careful as I can be.

And bo0st sorry I just assumed it doesn't have Link since he didn't list it, but yeah he's got to have some way to tune it - I'm waiting to see him in person before I ask him my list of questions, and that's one of them.

He's ready to meet so I'll go check it out and then come back with more info.

Haha sorry but this guy sounds like a joke from reading his add. Maybe it's good stuff but it sure is listed odd. I'm curious to hear what you find out

Oh yeah I know...I can tell he doesn't know what he's selling. I'm definitely going to be as careful as I can be.

And bo0st sorry I just assumed it doesn't have Link since he didn't list it, but yeah he's got to have some way to tune it - I'm waiting to see him in person before I ask him my list of questions, and that's one of them.

He's ready to meet so I'll go check it out and then come back with more info.

Dropping in 1100CC injectors without a tuning method would be hilarious.

I'd offer him like $2k for it and not a penny more.

So turns out it's actually a really nice car, and his friend that helps him with the car is the husband of an old friend of my best friend. (didn't know that prior, and will now be talking with that guy - he's driven and worked on DSM's for many years) He went with him when he bought this car and checked it out for him. He now wants a truck and boat instead.

Everything in the engine bay is super clean - including the block itself. Definitely looks the part. (rebuilt 2300 miles ago) Only thing is the oil return line (braided SS) is leaking a bit down near where it connects to the oil filter housing.

Has an older version of ESMLink, and runs on E85.

He simply doesn't know anything about cars. He didn't mod it, and isn't a car guy.

We went for a test drive and it seems to run perfectly aside from not going above 7lbs. No weird smells or sounds. Totally clean underbody. Nice dark green original paint with a few dings and minor scratches here and there. 2 panels on driver's side door are off, but he has them - just need put back on.

He said it gets up to 230 degrees if he drives it for a long time all around town, but not if he turns the heat on. I don't know how hot that is for a DSM, I'll have to look into that.

Has all the stock parts that were taken off the car, including wheels with good tires, new gaskets, seals, etc and all will go with the car. He wants 5k once the boost leak is fixed but implied he's negotiable for cash.

More pictures:
(Huh, some of the pictures are tiny...dunno why that is.....)

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 160
  • engine2.jpg
    engine2.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 74
  • engine3.jpg
    engine3.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 76
  • firewall.jpg
    firewall.jpg
    873 bytes · Views: 69
  • dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 178
  • seats.jpg
    seats.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 80
  • shifter.jpg
    shifter.jpg
    840 bytes · Views: 127
Last edited:
230 is imo hott

Hmm...well that sucks. He said he didn't know what that could be, and mentioned maybe the thermostat. I mean everything in the engine bay looks extremely fresh....are the electric fans maybe not enough? I dunno...but after seeing it and all, I'm hoping that temp issue can be figured out and that the other issue is in fact just a boost leak and that he gets it taken care of and I can get him down some on the price (between 4 and 4.5k) Is that crazy to any of you? I bought a 92 TSi Awd 10 years ago for 3600 and it was clean but it didn't have a rebuilt engine, transmission, and all these mods.

After doing some reading on temperature I should mention that the car has an FMIC and no heat shields on the headers/turbo. Seems that this can cause issues. In addition to that, if the stock pieces that directed air to the radiator were removed when the FMIC was installed it seems that could be a big issue. Someone in another thread was seeing similar temps and made some new pieces and his temps stayed down.

He contacted me last night and said the boost leak is fixed - a coupler was loose.

So I'll grab a compression tester at AutoZone before heading over there later.

I plan on driving it long enough to experiment with the temperature issue - I'll post back with info.

Thanks everyone for your input - still welcoming any other thoughts.

Couple of suggestions:
  • Run a CarFax before you go look at it. A small investment for a possible nightmare.You can also ask about some incidents should the owner not divulge "everything". After all, they are trying to get rid of a car.
  • Ask the owner if they wouldn't mind performing a compression test to get an idea of the engine's health especially with a rebuilt engine. If not, then ask if you can perform the test to see for yourself while also checking the spark plugs. If they oppose, then a red flag goes up.
  • Ask before hand for permission to have the test drive to an auto parts store to have the codes checked. This way, you can confirm out emissions CELs.
  • When you complete the test drive, leave the car running a short while to see if the car is overheating or not.
  • Check the oil before and after the test drive.
  • Check for leaks under the chassis before and after the test drive.
  • Bring a car jack to lift the car up to check suspension/steering components/bearing play.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back