The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Drag Race Build KRATOS V2

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So up until this point I have tuned the car entirely by myself on the street and strip for the past 7 years. It was time to see what the power curve looked like on the dyno so I could fine tune my shift points and see how the powerband really looked. Got in contact with Dave Katz at EFISpecialties and set up a date. First base run on my tune it laid down an impressive 557h.p and 397 ft lbs of torque. After a few pulls Dave turned the turbo up from 38 psi to 43 and tweaked the timing from 7K-9K for optimum power. It made 587hp and 408ft lbs of torque in a 108* heat index. Peak torque was 7300RPM and Peak Power was 8000RPM. We took it all the way to 9K on the pulls and the power curve did not fall off at all. The EVOIII SMIM blew my mind and I am a firm believer on why Curt Brown told me to go with it. We went all the way to 49PSI but the car started losing power so it is most likely a back pressure issue and the BEP .70AR Housing was maxed out.

8.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited:
Back to the track we go in August. Ran a 10.9,10.4 and finally a 10.12 my new p.b run. It was super hot over 100* my 2nd to 3rd pass I only had 20 minutes before the track closed so my trans temps were pretty high around 180* at the start. I spent some time working on the stall/launch tune to get that 60ft down which is literally the only thing holding me back from a 9 second pass right now. IFO came back to Rockinham which was only a 45 minute drive and first qualifying pass sheared the passenger rear axle in the diff housing so I was done for the day. I'm hoping to hit the track again at the end of the month as I feel the changes I made to the stall tune will get the job done this time and some cooler N.C air will help me out as well.

10.41 different view

10.12 rear view

10.12 side of track view with time and mph of my p.b

20934790_10214457307652605_2108298880878818831_o.jpg

FB_IMG_1507630157848.jpg

badass.jpg

Finally my IFO run on September 3rd where I broke the rear axle

Last edited:
Awesome work! You did pretty good tuning the car yourself. But the videos don't work for me!!
I am uploading it to youtube now. The new site makes it a bit tricky to load stuff, I wish it would allow us to upload from a sd chip or file from the computer unless I am overlooking something.

Last edited:
I weighed the car a few weeks ago this is with full interior, 4 point roll bar that is getting scrapped for a 10 point cage his winter, full tank of fuel and full 10lbs bottle of nitrous. 2860w/o me and 3040 with me. I couldn't get the back pressure out of my head from the dyno run. So I decided it was time to upgrade the turbo from the first 66mm KTS V1 wheel to the new 67/84/95 and also matched that with the 67x76 10 blade turbine. I had been running the 12 blade version before this so even though the compressor wheel is slightly larger the turbine wheel I am hoping will increase that exhaust flow some more. Took the bep.70 housing off and swapped in turbolabs .82 housing.
received_10214357871486763.jpeg
20171007_175527.jpg
20171007_175516.jpg
I am not logging back pressure so I have no idea what it is but I'm sure it's high only a trip to the track will tell me if the switch was worth it.

Last edited:
May I ask what they sell that exhaust housing for? Is this what they consider the hx40 pro?

Here is the link to that turbine housing from eBay where I bought it from. The Super 40 is the 60 or 62mm 6 or 7 blade compressor wheel. It still uses a hx40 turbine wheel and a hybrid compressor wheel made by KTS so I'm not really sure how to classify that one.

The turbo itself may have been out of steam on the dyno to many factors and with link I am limited as to what I can actually log. Then you have converter characteristics, trans temps ect. to factor in. I was honestly just going to swap the 12 blade turbine wheel out for the 10 blade and call it a day but I figured it was worth a shot to try the new version compressor wheel as well.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Holset-Hx40-...%3A07269c5c15f0aa492407991cfffc9ed8%7Ciid%3A5

It's crazy how that housing is less than half the cost of the bep housing.
Yes it is, I came across that a few months back just searching around. It is not as bulky as the bep housing is. I had to extend the vband clamp 3/4" inch so my exhaust lined up correctly. The one thing I did like about the new housing and vband flange they sent is it has a small ring on it acting like a gasket to ensure it locks in with no leaks.

this thread makes me want to build my hx40 instead of changing turbos LOL. awesome to see how far the holset can go. ive been contemplating the 63mm wheel that turbo lab sells along with a bigger turbine wheel and big ar housing.

this thread makes me want to build my hx40 instead of changing turbos LOL. awesome to see how far the holset can go. ive been contemplating the 63mm wheel that turbo lab sells along with a bigger turbine wheel and big ar housing.

It is a very capable turbo on a budget no denying that. I almost threw the towel in and bought a 76mm BW turbo I came across for a smoking deal but I didn't reach my 9 second street trim goal yet. I just did a lot of thinking on it and decided I wasn't done with Holsets just yet. I haven't done much weight reduction besides the free removals of un-needed stuff which will help a ton next season. A very good friend also pointed out why go bigger when you haven't reached the full potential of this set-up yet. That right there brought me back to reality. We will just have to wait and see how the new turbo acts on the track.

Looking at the 63mm compressor wheel its actually very impressive with a huge 103mm extended tip. The turbine housing is a a 50/50 kind of deal because every manufacturer makes housings differently. It's advertised as a .82 but really how much larger is the volutle compared to the BEP .70AR? I can look at airflow in link and compare but since I am running the 67mm version with a 10 blade turbine and .82 housing compared to the 66mm version with a 12 blade turbine and BEP .70AR housing that wouldn't exactly be a fair comparison. At the end of the day though if my trap speed increases then I know it works.

It is a very capable turbo on a budget no denying that. I almost threw the towel in and bought a 76mm BW turbo I came across for a smoking deal but I didn't reach my 9 second street trim goal yet. I just did a lot of thinking on it and decided I wasn't done with Holsets just yet. I haven't done much weight reduction besides the free removals of un-needed stuff which will help a ton next season. A very good friend also pointed out why go bigger when you haven't reached the full potential of this set-up yet. That right there brought me back to reality. We will just have to wait and see how the new turbo acts on the track.

Looking at the 63mm compressor wheel its actually very impressive with a huge 103mm extended tip. The turbine housing is a a 50/50 kind of deal because every manufacturer makes housings differently. It's advertised as a .82 but really how much larger is the volutle compared to the BEP .70AR? I can look at airflow in link and compare but since I am running the 67mm version with a 10 blade turbine and .82 housing compared to the 66mm version with a 12 blade turbine and BEP .70AR housing that wouldn't exactly be a fair comparison. At the end of the day though if my trap speed increases then I know it works.

I was thinking about basically running the same turbine side as you but with th63mm wheel. ive only been able to get my car out to the track once this year (shootout). first time I got to run the car on the auto and ran 10.89@125 on 26 psi (controller was turned off).

It's crazy how that housing is less than half the cost of the bep housing.
The mild-steel .70 BEP housing was $200-$220 depending on the vendor before they changed to stainless a few years ago. The stainless housing doesn't rust and withstands much higher EGT's without the worry of cracking or erosion. There's a reason for the price hike.

I was thinking about basically running the same turbine side as you but with th63mm wheel. ive only been able to get my car out to the track once this year (shootout). first time I got to run the car on the auto and ran 10.89@125 on 26 psi (controller was turned off).

10.89@125 on 26 psi is extremely good. What was your 60ft and weight of the car? It's your car but I say keep the same exact turbo you have and run it. 26 psi you haven't even got to the sweet spot yet. The video where I did the 1-4 pull on page 1 was a wh1c 58mm baby hx40. I also noticed you are running the bep .55 housing. The t3 .70 AR Bep propelled Ruby to a 9.12 which is hauling.

The mild-steel .70 BEP housing was $200-$220 depending on the vendor before they changed to stainless a few years ago. The stainless housing doesn't rust and withstands much higher EGT's without the worry of cracking or erosion. There's a reason for the price hike.

Exactly as Justin said you pay for quality. I ran the mild steel BEP housing which has been on the car for the past 5 years no issues or complaints. I'm not sure if you over looked my comment on how the BEP housing was overall beefier and it is heavier as well being made from a better quality steel. I have not installed the new turbo set up yet so I can't comment on street manners as far as spool up. When I went from the 58mm to the 66mm I picked up a lot of lag especially when I was manual just food for thought on a street driven car at least.

More updates. I was following like every time you posted the other day trying to get the build thread up to date and now that it is I'm like son of a... wheres the pictures? the time slips? the destroyed parts? It was a good change of pace for a day or so LOL

For us the car went fastest with the ERL manifold, .70 housing, 67mm H1E turbine, and 66mm wheel (the one which copied the Garrett T67). Still it was only .35 seconds faster than a box-stock 60mm HX40 in the same housing at less boost. The .70 housing was definitely too much turbine restriction as after just one season it had some unacceptable thrust wear. I addressed that over the off-season by going to a machined Garrett .82 housing, and the car also got the custom top-mount manifold. It gained almost 800rpms of lag over the .70 housing and ERL manifold, but it was run for two more seasons and the turbo never suffered any thrust wear again so obviously the reliability issue was corrected. It made a handful of 8-second passes on the .82 housing and top-mount manifold but never bested the 8.77 done on simple parts that anyone can buy and install. Surprisingly the car only went two tenths faster with a Super99 than it did with the 66mm HX40 despite being at 10psi more than it was on the Holset but there was likely some intake restriction with the 2G head. New aluminum-rod engine's been built with a 1G head and four more injectors with a goal of 7's on the horizon. A new manifold will be built to support a billet S475 I have here...I chose that route because there are plenty of available turbine wheels and housings in the S400 platform with compressors up to 83mm so there is plenty of room to grow down the road without the need to spend $4000 on a custom Precision that will probably fail.

I now have three different users logging an accurate 80+ lb/min at 42-44psi with the 60mm KTS wheel so I haven't been building a whole lot of the 66mm turbos lately...and all of those units have the 76/64 turbine. The additional lag just doesn't seem to be worth it as most of these cars are still 100% street-driven with occasional track use. The fact that you can see performance like that from a 60mm journal bearing turbo that is roughly $1000 cheaper than something comparable like the PTE 6062 is just mind-blowing.

I am uploading it to youtube now. The new site makes it a bit tricky to load stuff, I wish it would allow us to upload from a sd chip or file from the computer unless I am overlooking something.
@TeamFury - are you trying to upload photos from an sd card? We don't allow direct video uploads. I can't see why photos wouldn't work but I haven't tried it myself. Are you using a phone or a PC?

It has been a while since I read the thread you and Dave started when you created that turbo. Watching him grow all those years on basic parts was awesome. It was a inspiration to all of us holset guys. After reading your comment on the thrust wear I'm glad I stepped up to this housing. I have no idea how the precision .82 compares to the garrett .82 but hopefully it has similar effects. I know in my case the 12 blade turbine probably had some play in my situation.

I have seen a few post on f.b from Dave and his progression, I know Ricky is going to do great things with his car now that he has a dyno. I didn't know the extent at which he went with the new build but it sounds like it's going to do serious work to the competition.

I can't believe that you have guys logging over 80lbs/min on the 60mm version! Mine is logging over 80lbs/min at 43 psi but it sounds like the 60mm is right there with it and I know it spools much faster. That is very promising and eye opening to guys looking at upgrading. The thing I like how you guys did it was completely maxing out each specific set up before making a change which is the best way to keep going faster. I used to talk smack about autos too but after switching to one myself it is very tedious tuning compared to the good old man shifting especially the launching part.

@TeamFury - are you trying to upload photos from an sd card? We don't allow direct video uploads. I can't see why photos wouldn't work but I haven't tried it myself. Are you using a phone or a PC?

I was using my computer to upload the pictures which did allow me to from an sd card. It took me a few minutes but I figured out how to upload the videos. For anyone wondering it's easiest to use youtube or something similar (I'm not super tech savvy when it comes to this stuff). I know when I used the url to the videos on my Facebook page the members couldn't see it most likely due to my security settings. Besides figuring that out no complaints from the upgraded site at all.

I was using my computer to upload the pictures which did allow me to from an sd card. It took me a few minutes but I figured out how to upload the videos. For anyone wondering it's easiest to use youtube or something similar (I'm not super tech savvy when it comes to this stuff). I know when I used the url to the videos on my Facebook page the members couldn't see it most likely due to my security settings. Besides figuring that out no complaints from the upgraded site at all.
Awesome, glad to hear you figured it out. And yes, you're right, uploading videos to Youtube and then pasting the URL in your post here is the best way to do it. We don't have the storage to allow for video uploads so we have people use Youtube and then embed their videos here. FB can be used for videos too but as you noticed, you need to ensure you're posting a message available to the public, as opposed to just your friends, or most people won't be able to view it.

For us the car went fastest with the ERL manifold, .70 housing, 67mm H1E turbine, and 66mm wheel (the one which copied the Garrett T67). Still it was only .35 seconds faster than a box-stock 60mm HX40 in the same housing at less boost. The .70 housing was definitely too much turbine restriction as after just one season it had some unacceptable thrust wear. I addressed that over the off-season by going to a machined Garrett .82 housing, and the car also got the custom top-mount manifold. It gained almost 800rpms of lag over the .70 housing and ERL manifold, but it was run for two more seasons and the turbo never suffered any thrust wear again so obviously the reliability issue was corrected. It made a handful of 8-second passes on the .82 housing and top-mount manifold but never bested the 8.77 done on simple parts that anyone can buy and install. Surprisingly the car only went two tenths faster with a Super99 than it did with the 66mm HX40 despite being at 10psi more than it was on the Holset but there was likely some intake restriction with the 2G head. New aluminum-rod engine's been built with a 1G head and four more injectors with a goal of 7's on the horizon. A new manifold will be built to support a billet S475 I have here...I chose that route because there are plenty of available turbine wheels and housings in the S400 platform with compressors up to 83mm so there is plenty of room to grow down the road without the need to spend $4000 on a custom Precision that will probably fail.

I now have three different users logging an accurate 80+ lb/min at 42-44psi with the 60mm KTS wheel so I haven't been building a whole lot of the 66mm turbos lately...and all of those units have the 76/64 turbine. The additional lag just doesn't seem to be worth it as most of these cars are still 100% street-driven with occasional track use. The fact that you can see performance like that from a 60mm journal bearing turbo that is roughly $1000 cheaper than something comparable like the PTE 6062 is just mind-blowing.

Is this with the KTS 4015c wheel?

10.89@125 on 26 psi is extremely good. What was your 60ft and weight of the car? It's your car but I say keep the same exact turbo you have and run it. 26 psi you haven't even got to the sweet spot yet. The video where I did the 1-4 pull on page 1 was a wh1c 58mm baby hx40. I also noticed you are running the bep .55 housing. The t3 .70 AR Bep propelled Ruby to a 9.12 which is hauling.

my info needs updated badly LOL I don't have the 91 anymore. I found a bunch of rot under the car and have switched my motor and went auto over to a 92. car is also on a bep .70ar housing now as well. car went a 1.56 60' as far as weight I still need to get an exact weight. id guess high 2800-2940lbs. im hoping the motor iim putting together will make a big change to my car in the end. 10.5:1 comp aluminum rod with a curt brown head. kelford 276 hl cams.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back