The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Going for a 400 hp street monster and need help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manahan21

Probationary Member
Jun 5, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Like the title says, My goal is to have a 400 hp street monster. I have a a 1995 Eagle Talon TSI AWD and here is my current mod list:

13x,xxx miles (body) -19,xxx miles (motor) -5 speed -Rebuilt 6bolt -Walbro 255 fuel pump -Greddy Type-rs bov -Hard piping -arp rod bolts and head studs -7bolt head -tdo4hl-15t turbo -2g turbo flange(td05) -ported evo 3 manifold -rc 550 cc injectors -apexi safc 2 -apexi n1 turbo back 3inch exhaust -shepard stage 2 trans -centerforce dual friction clutch -prothane motor mounts -solid driveshaft carrier bushings -18 inch motegi formula 5 rims -newer sport one low pro tires -99 eclipse gsx body conversion -EBay big fmic -black leather interior -air/fuel,oil,boost gauges -power windows and locks -Act Street Steel flywheel -Balance Shaft Eliminated NEW -new serpentine belt-3/20/12 -new pcv valve-3/27/12-131,700mi -Lucas fuel injectors cleaner-3/28/12-131,740

I'm leaning towards a Holset hx-35 for the turbo but I am open to other suggestions. Thanks.

You can make 400hp with a 20g turbo but the holset isn't a bad choice because you will have room to grow if you want more which ends up happening LOL but, I would ditch the safc and get Ecmlink or more commonly known as dsmlink bigger injectors is a must the 550s will not do the job. And if your goals are going to stay around there might want to look into a bottom end build no sense making it fast unless you do it the right way.

You can make 400hp with a 20g turbo but the holset isn't a bad choice because you will have room to grow if you want more which ends up happening LOL but, I would ditch the safc and get Ecmlink or more commonly known as dsmlink bigger injectors is a must the 550s will not do the job. And if your goals are going to stay around there might want to look into a bottom end build no sense making it fast unless you do it the right way.

6 bolt bottom end is capable of 400+ agreed about the rest though definatley need some bigger injectors and a tuning program along with a turbo to push you there.

the holset is definitely an awesome turbo... I'm planning on running the HX40 for my big build. i would stick with that turbo because it will give you room to grow, and in time 400 hp won't be enough for you anymore. you'll probably want to go with some slightly bigger injectors, and of course DSMlink is a must. unless your on a budget, then a 99 black box ECU and ECUflash is another option.

Under the "Memebers" tab there's a DSM Dyno Challenge. I'd find people around what you want to run hp wise, and base your build on that.

But, with a tuning package, fuel pressure regulator, E85, 1200 injectors, The HX35 setup, boost controller, a good tune... 400 crank hp might be possible.

What do you guys think about cams and a intake manifold? I know I will always want more power thats why I thought the Holset was a good choice. What about an FP Green? I also know I need to get rid of the SAFC but I really like it's display options. Can I run link and the SAFC and just use it as a monitoring gauge? Has anyone done this?

For cams I would suggest Kelford 272s. I haven't used them but they seem hot right now. You should also get yourself a fuel pressure gauge. Check your psi to be sure your base is set otherwise you should pick up an AFPR.

P.S. I LOVED my SAFC-II, limited edition. Only 200 made I believe, but I got rid of it. On a brighter side I love the clean look...my car looks completely stock inside out except under the hood:D. And the massive front mount...

What do you guys think about cams and a intake manifold? I know I will always want more power thats why I thought the Holset was a good choice. What about an FP Green? I also know I need to get rid of the SAFC but I really like it's display options. Can I run link and the SAFC and just use it as a monitoring gauge? Has anyone done this?

You mean you like to impress everyone that gets in your car with your "fuel computer". No, people don't buy a real tuning tool and leave their band-aid solution in the car as a "monitoring gauge". What would you be monitoring? Throttle position?

The FP Green is a solid turbo, but FP has quite a few newer turbos you might want to check out.

Cams and a SMIM will definitely help you acheive your goal, but it's all largely worthless without proper tuning.

Last edited:
For cams I would suggest Kelford 272s. I haven't used them but they seem hot right now. You should also get yourself a fuel pressure gauge. Check your psi to be sure your base is set otherwise you should pick up an AFPR.

I do have a fuel pressure gauge... What are average readings?

You mean you like to impress everyone that gets in your car with your "fuel computer". No, people don't buy a real tuning tool and leave their band-aid solution in the car as a "monitoring gauge". What would you be monitoring? Throttle position?

Also RPMs and knock. And just to throw it out there the SAFC was on the car when I bought it. I know its capabilities and I know its not what I need to achieve my goals. I am gonna be on a budget but I know a tune can make or break a build. What is everyone's opinion on DSMLink vs ECUFlash? I believe going with the black box ecu and getting ECUFlash and EVOScan are cheaper but do they have the same capabilities as just running link.

Under the "Memebers" tab there's a DSM Dyno Challenge. I'd find people around what you want to run hp wise, and base your build on that.

But, with a tuning package, fuel pressure regulator, E85, 1200 injectors, The HX35 setup, boost controller, a good tune... 400 crank hp might be possible.

Really? I think he could hit that with the right cams, a large turbo, good tune on 93 oct..... Even 400whp on 93 is quite possible. (bench racing... Wooooops!) Ethanol would be the best though, i agree

LOL at 1200s for 400hp on a street car

Pretty sure he meant with e85. 1200s for gas would be overkill though.

So you people really think he needs link to make 400 whp? I personally know you could do it with the afc. Its not the best option, but its not as bad as people make it out. As long as you stay semi close to 450cc injectors, you should have no problem with an afc. If your trying to make big power on pump gas, then a link might better for you. To make the power on pump you will need decent size injectors. I would personally just get a new turbo, and leave the setup you have for now. If you have the funds for everything, then by all means go for it. If not, try what you have. When you run out of injector, then upgrade and get a link. You could always run race gas or a meth kit with the setup you have too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back