The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

GMB water pumps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Care to share this pump trick?

I think Nick meant that Aisin produces the parts for Mitsu, therefore using Aisin aftermarket pumps. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

The old Aisin pumps used to just have a sticker on the throat of the pump, but didn't have "Aisin" cast into the housing like the OEM units. I'm not sure why, but I was a little hesitant with offering them up as "OEM White Box". For the last 2-3 years, they now come with "Aisin" cast into the part just like the OEM boxed units.

I worked on Toyotas from 1980 -now, MDT, all the certifications, NOT trying to to my horn but, my 2-cents.

The last GMB I used on Toyota personal Toyota Corolla 4A-LC (2V head)bearing went out in <10k miles.
This H2O pump is not :cry: easy to change.
That cured me of using GMB :nono:.
Seen more issues from GMB when used on multiple Toyota models.
Aisin is my Preferred non-dealer part. I ass-u-me aftermarket replacements are OEM quality.

I have had LCE (22R engine nuts) seem to suggest otherwise about Aisin also....
They sold us their "Preferred pump" for a 3VZ (2V head), it wouldn't even bolt to the block properly (casting dowel holes too small)....their response..."We never seen that problem" and "Well :hmm: we don't work on many 3VZ engines".
My gut told me to use Aisin (OEM PART) and I should have followed it.

Good to hear a perspective from someone more widely experienced with those cars.

With the Toyota stuff, I can only go by consensus I've read online (which is often one person swearing by something they've used once or twice), so I appreciate you sharing your extensive experience!

I think Nick meant that Aisin produces the parts for Mitsu, therefore using Aisin aftermarket pumps. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

The old Aisin pumps used to just have a sticker on the throat of the pump, but didn't have "Aisin" cast into the housing like the OEM units. I'm not sure why, but I was a little hesitant with offering them up as "OEM White Box". For the last 2-3 years, they now come with "Aisin" cast into the part just like the OEM boxed units.

I think he is referring to something else.

I think he is referring to something else.
Josh is right. I worded that incorrectly. What I meant was that, way back when we knew that Aisin were the OEM pumps and would use them from aftermarket companies to save a little money.

DSSA I ordered a Gates water pump several months ago from an online vendor and it has the OEM type 'blades' and not the 'disk'. It's Gates part #42163 for 6 bolt. I do not see the Aisin anywhere on it and nothing about it's country of origin anywhere. I have not used it yet but I've been kinda curious as to what exactly I have now. Any ideas?

Josh is right. I worded that incorrectly. What I meant was that, way back when we knew that Aisin were the OEM pumps and would use them from aftermarket companies to save a little money.

DSSA I ordered a Gates water pump several months ago from an online vendor and it has the OEM type 'blades' and not the 'disk'. It's Gates part #42163 for 6 bolt. I do not see the Aisin anywhere on it and nothing about it's country of origin anywhere. I have not used it yet but I've been kinda curious as to what exactly I have now. Any ideas?
I'm not sure where, but somewhere above I must have worded something incorrectly as well. The Aisin pumps were the ones that used to come with just the blue, "Aisin" sticker on the throat as opposed to having it cast into the throat of the pump like the OEM boxed units. Gates were never made by Aisin.

The newer Aisin boxed pump have been coming with "Aisin" cast into the pump housing (like the OEM boxed units), *and* the small, blue "Aisin" stickers as well.

You must have gotten an old-stock Gates unit, or I've just been very (un)lucky for the last 6 or so years, as the last several hundred Gates pumps I've gotten in from four different Gates Distributors have all been the disc style, China made units as below:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here's the current Gates vs. current Aisin. Side note: The Aisin pumps come with identical gasket (material, etc.) as the OEM gasket. The Gates gaskets are thicker/softer material (doesn't seem to affect anything, just a note)

Here's Gates vs. Aisin (additional note: the Aisin Pump comes with a gasket identical to the OEM):

Nick,

Yep. That's one of the really old boxes. It should say "Made in Japan" on the box unless the sticker is missing.

As you see, the newer pumps don't look anything like that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back