The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Getting ready to race!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gixxerdrew

DSM Wiseman
Oct 5, 2007
Yokohama, Japan, Asia
Hello everyone. It's been a while since I posted last. First, I got some messages and I wanted to let people know that I was not in Japan when the quake hit, I had just come back to the US for work. I got word today that my apartment is intact and no serious damages except my bottle of nice scotch. If you can afford to help out please donate something, even $10 for the Red Cross. There are tens of thousands of people without food, electricity or water now in Sendai area. I have been there before and its a beautiful place full of kind hearted good people.

On to the race car:

Right now the crew chief, Bret Collmer is working long hours trying to get the car put back together. It is going to be an absolute monster this time around! I'm going to drop some little bits here and there about what we are up to but its going to be epic!

At the last event we were having issues with the wastegate and when I examined the data logs I saw that we were hitting oil starvation after long term extreme G loads in the high speed sweeper. Between the two problems we decided to hang the car up as we had hit the record lap time and won the event We knew there was so much more time in the car but we wanted to save the engine so we packed it up and went home.

As it would turn out that was the right decision. We did an engine tear down and found that the rod and main bearings had been destroyed. We had a 3 quart accusump and a beautiful baffled oil pan from DSMLAB but we were hitting almost 2 g's. At this point we knew the whole project was dead in the water without a real dry sump, but Magnus Motorsports came through with the just the right thing. We are working now on all the associated labor to go to a full dry sump, the reservoir installation, breather tank setup. There are so many advantages to the dry sump, no more emptying catch cans or dealing with popping out dip sticks, an easier runnig engine that makes more horsepower and torque. Knowing that your lubrication is always there no matter how hard you are accelerating and the ability to scavenge oil directly from the head keeps these engines from accumulating oil up top. It's really what the engine needed from the beginning.

Adam Porto aka Black_GST hooked us up with some awesome solid subframe bushings. They were very nice billet aluminum pieces. I think these will make a big difference in the handling of the car because there isn't much triangulation to the front suspension pickups/shock towers on the DSM. We had noticed a lot of flex there and this should really make a difference in the front end stability and grip. Pics to come when we finish the install!

We are really cleaning the car up and making it look nice this time. There are so many little details we learned like as the car gets faster it vibrates loose all its bolts/nuts and we had to start using special hardware for things. It's turning into the car I always envisioned. Can't wait to post the photos!

More to come, stay tuned!

I love seeing updates on this. Good luck to you guys!

Oh snaps! Welcome back drew! Glad you're safe. :thumb:

It's unfortunate what had happen in Japan, will try to donate in some way!

Can't wait to see the car. :)

sounds awesome can't wait to see the pictures. did you guys win the most races last year? i remember you saying you won the one race by over a 1 second on a lap, incredible. keep up the good work.

It is going to be an absolute monster this time around! I'm going to drop some little bits here and there about what we are up to but its going to be epic!
Wow, I can't imagine the car being more epic than it already is! Looking forward to reading more. :thumb:

rqgdsm; Last year we won at super lap battle by SIX seconds per lap! Whats even crazier is that we only ran two events last year. Buttonwillow Redline Time Attack round 1 and Super Lap Battle, the last race of the year. at Super Lap Battle we ran a 55.3 when only running 300horspower, which set the lap record and won by 6 seconds per lap! but at the other event redline time attack we had full power on a car that was not as refined and it ran a 54.0 in practice even faster! We didnt finish that event though because we broke a gearbox, then shep came onboard and Sam at RRE doing emergency rebuilds as well and Magnus hooked us up with a good used dog box!

Photos coming soon guys I promise!

do you have any feed back from them solid bushings you have? as im looking at getting some and need some info anf reviews before shelling out 350 for the set

thanks bobby

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back