The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Getting back into DSMs after a long rest, 12.50 AWD Talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetcity

Probationary Member
Apr 3, 2013
houston, Texas
Hey members. I am dragging my 1993 AWD Talon out of the back 40 after 4 years and returning to the DSM life. I previously made it to 12.50s at 114 with the car before getting married again, moving, and generally not driving the car one bit. Some things have changed since i fooled with the car, and I am requesting direction on where to go. Here is my current setup:
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
1992 6-bolt short block, 130K miles, all stock
Buschur stage 1 radius ported head
hogged out ported stock 1G exhaust manifold
EVO 3 16G turbo, 21mm wastegate, 17 PSI street, 30 PSI race gas
hogged out 2G 02 housing. gets boost creep badly.
full 3" stainless mandrel bent exhaust with high flow cat
ACT 2600 clutch kit, billet fork, welded pedal, SS clutch line
3" GM MAFT / UICP
stock SMIC
stock injectors
adjustable FPR
255 LPH fuel pump
EVO 8 wheels and Nitto drag radials

Electronics:
custom EPROM tuned with a burner, and old software from 2005. obsolete.
MAFT
J&S Safeguard
WB02

I want to run 11s, and I know I need injectors, FMIC, ECMLink, and a bigger turbo. Question is, which turbo and FMIC?

All suggestions welcome. Thanks. BR

You will need a front mount, injectors and tuning to meet your goal. There are many e316g owners into high 11s. You will not be in a good spot on the compressor map however a good front mount will prevent knock allowing you to run more boost.

For FMIC and your goals I would recommend an ETS. If you get a larger turbo you could go with a less efficient FMIC setup that has been proven to be good like VRSF.

I would get at least 550cc or 650cc injectors. And any front mount is better than the stock ic. Then tune you MAFT to compensate for more fuel and air.

Keep the turbo. Get all the other mods. I've gone mid 11's with that turbo on pumpgas, and high 10's on e85. If you have e85 in your area, use it!

FMIC kits, I like my ETS, I don't pay attention to what else is out there. ECMlink v3 for sure, speed density is awesome, but not necessarily needed, and if you will be using e85, you'll want ~1000cc injectors or so.

Sounds like I shoud get the ECMLink and a FMIC, and hang on to this turbo a bit longer. What is a good FMIC for a 1Gb Talon and 400 AWHP?

Also, should I be considering 880cc sized injectors? I want to run 22 PSI on pump gas. Who makes the best rated disc/ball injectors in this size category?

ECMLink sounds exciting. Native WB02 and GM mass air. I hated the kludge fixes with the MAFT and separate WB02.

Just get EcmLink, at ETS street kit and FIC 1050s and call it a day. With your wally 255, afpr and the above stuff you should be able to see 400hp and love it as a DD. Another advantage of the 1050s is that you could also have an e85 tune and these would give you the headroom to make it happen.

Please see this link to help you get an idea of what the injectors will support.

HP Calculator

The MAFT stuff, afc stuff is all the same and allows you no control over timing. EcmLink is a well thought out and supported tuning package.

I would also remove all the electronics except wideband since you will use it with EcmLink. I would put on a 2g maf as that will meet your goals just fine. They seem to max around 50lbs per min and are cheap and easy to get. I would also try to figure out the boost creep and get it resolved.

Sounds like this Evo 3 16G has some life left in it. I think FIC 850s, ECMLink, and an Innovate LC-1 wideband is the ticket.

I never liked the PLX R-500. The display is too big and impossible to see in daylight.

I'll get a FMIC in a couple months.

Nothing like a spooling up turbo to get your blood going. Mine would hit 20 PSI at about 3400 RPM and pull like a locomotive. It would surge pretty badly when it spooled up, then boost creep above 5500 RPM. It has the ported 2G02 housing and the larger wastegate flapper door. I need to fix that..

Keep ideas coming.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back