The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Gentlemen, take care of your balls...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barza21

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 11, 2006
Fairbanks, Alaska
Hello!

I am in the process of doing a pretty stock rebuild. After doing some research I found some info on cleaning the crank. Here are some pictures of what came out of my crank after I got it back from a machine shop that had just got done cleaning it... All of that nasty stuff came out of only ONE oil galley. All the other ones were the same way. This could've been bad if I had just assembled the engine without pulling the balls out of the crank. So, PULL THE BALLS! :D

Thanks to BogusSVO for all his helpful advice along this process! :thumb:

h[URL=http://s88.photobucket.com/user/barza21/media/20151010_123546_zpsoyqqwzzw.jpg.html]
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
[/URL]

***The scale is set to 1".

Hello!

I am in the process of doing a pretty stock rebuild. After doing some research I found some info on cleaning the crank. Here are some pictures of what came out of my crank after I got it back from a machine shop that had just got done cleaning it... All of that nasty stuff came out of only ONE oil galley. All the other ones were the same way. This could've been bad if I had just assembled the engine without pulling the balls out of the crank. So, PULL THE BALLS! :D

Thanks to BogusSVO for all his helpful advice along this process! :thumb:

h

***The scale is set to 1".
Thanks for posting, good to know.

You hit them with a tig to shrink the balls, then build up a pull point with weld and pull them out with plyers

I am not disagreeing but I thought metals expanded with heat, is there a video?

Metal does expand with heat. U tug them to make a spot to grab onto with pliers the metal expansion is slight it's not held in with major force is what their saying I believe

I am not disagreeing but I thought metals expanded with heat, is there a video?

They do.. then shrink when they cool, so the ball ends up smaller than when they started.

I have no clue if there is a vid or not. I never made one.

I have done about 300 cranks like this, so it works.
Not just 4g63 & 64 cranks, But Honda B & D cranks, Nissan RB 25 & 26, SR20, KA24

Along with any other cross drilled design rod throw crank.

Also looking at some of the big reman crankshaft companies, they do it too

Metal does expand with heat. U tug them to make a spot to grab onto with pliers the metal expansion is slight it's not held in with major force is what their saying I believe

Just need a tab to pull on once it shrinks.

I have no clue, never tried with a MIG...

I have a welder that I take the cranks to, He gets them out for me.

Then I tap and plug the galleys closed.

The factory drills the galleys from the rod throw to the main journal.
It is the passage to allow oil to the rod bearing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back