The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Generic Racing Seats? Yes? or No? for 1g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sayajin

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 11, 2003
Snellville, Georgia
Hey guys. I am about to purchase a 1990 GSX and the seats in the car need to be replaced. The back seats are perfect but the driver seat is ripped and what not, so I figured I would just replace both the passenger and the driver seats at the same time. Here is my situation however:

I do not have 400 a seat to spend on actual Sparco racing seats, so after some searching I found a bunch of Generic, no name seats that sell for a price that is much better for me. (meaning I can afford it) my question to you guys is does it really make THAT much of a difference to get name brand over generic? Yes I realize that name brand is better, however is the generic completely unbearable? For the price difference I can handle a bit of difference in the seats... LOL.

Also if you suggest that I do get name brand seats and not generic ones, do you have any suggestions on brands? Also specific models would be greatly appreciated! I am hoping to get 2 seats with sliders for about $200-280 or so. This is for both seats, not 200 each. As I said this will go on a 1g. The generic ones I had found were near this price.

Also as far as mounting brackets go, if I purchase the generic ones, where should I get mounting brackets from? And if you suggest a specific name brand, where should I get the mounting brackets for that one from?

Well thanks a lot and I truly appreciate the help!

-Sayajin

I have this same exact question...i bought some generic ones on ebay for 320 for 2 and they come with sliders, but no brackets. Does anyone know where i can get some brackets. The dudeman at the shop said that if he had to fabricate brackets he would charge like 300...and i dont want to have to do that. Thanks

LOL man why dont you just find some guy whose selling his stock leather off his seats, thats what my friends did there ot hard to put on either takes a max of like 30 minutes

Well most generic brands may not be DOT or FIA approved, meaning illegal for street use or track use. As long as that doesn't bug you and they are made of a steel frame and not fiberglass. I'd go for them.
Personally I'd only spend the coin on a racing seat/bucket for me cause I'm the driver. Screw the passenger. :p :D

That would end up looking ghetto to have two different seats. I have seen it before in car mags & I thought it looked horrible. Same as having one altezza & one stock rear light.:rolleyes:

Goto a local import/rice shop and ask to sit in a few different styles. At the shop I previously worked at, we had 1 of each style we sold as display models on the floor for people to hop into. What's comfortable to you may be totally uncomfortable to me, all depends on height, weight..

brackets are a pain to find I got two apc seats chillin in the garage b/c I have yet to get brackets for the damn things. 80 bucks a pop or do my own yeah right

right just sliders, but in order to get them to attach to the floor you need brackets, and you can get them on like ebay I think or some parts store has to carry them or make your own, but that could be a pain in the ass

Get it reupholstered, (I think thats how you spell it ) get some nice black leather on there.. I donna how much it costs though

Get what you pay I guess... Both Sparco and Corbeau have sliders and bases I believe. Part numbers and prices are listed on both of their sites. Not sure if they're compatible with the APC seats.

Personally, I'd get rid of the APCs and go for a set of Sparcos or Corbeaus. I wouldn't trust my life and safety to APC unless you have a great harness set up with all the right anchor points.

BTW, if you 2G guys need a strong harness bar to work with your seats, I've got one I need to get rid of. Msg me.

APC that we dont? You can buy a harness anywhere really, so are you saying their seats are bad? or harnesses?

the seats bolted to floor, so that isn't an issue. apc seats are fine and yes you pay for what you get. I paid for seats and sliders, its just a pita to get brackets.

the floor models are attached to them. They don't just sell em there? I assumed (oopsie my fault) they came with em from PepBoys as they're mounted etc already :thumbdown :thumbdown

yeah I noticed that they have them on brackets. thats so dumb I asked the guys if they had em, they don't even know where they came from. thats funny I thought I was the only person to notice that

and walk out with em, ugh, guess I'll look around and try to get brackets before I get the seats :cry: :cry: :cry:

ebay has em, they look alright, 120 a pair I think? the apc seats are pretty sturdy geekyguru has them installed ask him.

Well, there's no telling how strong the hinges and frame of the seats are. I know Sparco has fairly stringent quality and engineering standards. And, both Sparco and Corbeau have been in the seating business for a long time. For Corbeau, it's all they do... but APC? Think about it. Chances are they buy ready-made models from some Taiwanese owned factory in China and have them emborider the APC logo on. Voila! APC brand seat. There is a reason why they are cheap compared to the other brands. Cheap design, cheap materials, cheap maufacturing process. I've worked in the industy, that's how it's done. Everyone claims their product is their own design and engineering but all they do is send buyers and reps to the far east and shop for existing products to slap their own brand on.

If you get hit hard enough, the seat frame and hinge can fail resulting in fatal injuries or ejection through the rear hatch glass... or decapitation by the seat belt. It has happened in the past when Chrysler and GM skimped on their seats. So it isn't entirely impossible. The fact that the seats are bolted to the floor doesn't mean jack. There are still other ways a seat can fail. It's not just a seat. Use your head and think about it. It's more than that... it's a safety device that should hold you securely to the car. The more your body is at one with the car the safer you are. That is how F1 drivers can walk away from their horrendous crashes at 150+ mph.

brackets are a pain to find I got two apc seats chillin in the garage b/c I have yet to get brackets for the damn things. 80 bucks a pop or do my own yeah right

$80 expensive!? HA. I bought legit Bride brackets for $125 and that was a steal. They normally go for $250 per side.

Do you like dieing a lot? If you enjoy it then yes get crap ass generic seats that do not adhere to government standards for automotive safety equipment.

They probably have never been crash tested. DONT BUY THEM unless you plan on having a trailer princess show car. Even then you should probably get Recaro or Sparco or Corbeau if you want to win anything

Edit: I think there needs to be a sticky somewhere about why you Should not buy racing seats unless you are prepared to get laughed at during car shows or Die if you ever plan on taking the car onto the road or track.

Do you like dieing a lot? If you enjoy it then yes get crap ass generic seats that do not adhere to government standards for automotive safety equipment.

They probably have never been crash tested. DONT BUY THEM unless you plan on having a trailer princess show car. Even then you should probably get Recaro or Sparco or Corbeau if you want to win anything

Edit: I think there needs to be a sticky somewhere about why you Should not buy racing seats unless you are prepared to get laughed at during car shows or Die if you ever plan on taking the car onto the road or track.

I had some fake Bride's and they were very strong. Say what you will but until you own one or do anything aftermarket to your car please don't talk. Your car looks stock as can be in your picture.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back