The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

generic engine rotation question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canucatchdis

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 2, 2003
Moline, Illinois
I was just doing some day dreaming and I began to wonder what way engines rotate at the crank.
My thought process was if all engines spin the same direction while looking at the crank ie(clockwise) could any engine be used through any rwd transmission?

Just curious to know.

let me rephrase.

Do all engines spin in the same direction?

I know some Honda engines turn backwards.

Seth

No doubt. Turning backwards easily nets you 50 hp.;)

Seth

The 4g63s in DSMs and EVOs all spin the same way. DSMs and early EVOs have the engine on the drivers side and transmission on the passenger side requiring the transmission to have an extra shaft to get the wheel to turn the right direction.

I wonder why Mits and Honda did that? There must be a reason for adding complexity. The reason must not have been a good one though because both eventually figured out they should be doing it the same way as everyone else. :)

Seth

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back