The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

general issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Settles

Probationary Member
Dec 21, 2010
Clarksville, Tennessee
I have somethings wrong with the car, but at this time I don't know anything about DSMs. Lets start when I turn it on. My A/F guage settles to 14.9 with my fuel pressure at 53-54. The exhaust kicks out black stuff. Initially i thought it was oil, but I am starting to lean away from that. So when i take off it runs great through 1st. Now lets say I drop the hammer on it. It will studder as if its not getting something it needs, but as soon as i ease up on the gas just a hair it takes off. And it behaves this way through the rest of the gears. Now there are a few times when this doesn't happen, but recently it is every time i try to speed up and pass someone. One time I noticed a cloud of black smoke.
This is my first issue I would like to tackle. Again, I don't know anything about DSMs so I can't guarantee that I will understand all of the lingo, so if you could break it down to NOOBIE terms I would greatly appreciate it.

what kind of fuel regulator do you have on there because it sounds like your running rich. check the spark plugs and see if they are black because a rich condition will make them like that. im confused as to why your a/f is reading 14.9. does it function properly

Last edited:
that is very high for you fuel pressure it should be 43.5 psi you need to turn down your fuel pressure regulator

I am not sure why type of fuel pressure regulator is on the car. This is something I will attempt to check out this weekend. Also, can the fuel pressure be adjusted through the DSMlink or does this have to be manually adjusted somewhere on the car? Thanks for the info, I will see what I can accomplish this weekend and Ill post what I found regarding the spark plugs and the type of regulator on the car.

I am not sure why type of fuel pressure regulator is on the car. This is something I will attempt to check out this weekend. Also, can the fuel pressure be adjusted through the DSMlink or does this have to be manually adjusted somewhere on the car? Thanks for the info, I will see what I can accomplish this weekend and Ill post what I found regarding the spark plugs and the type of regulator on the car.

if the fuel pressure regulator is adjustable and not a standard one you will be able to turn it down

Now is this what the pressure should be stock or with all of the upgrades that are on the car. Its pushing 22-24lbs of boost. Now last night i did notice that it starts to act up around 10lbs and that is when the studdering begins.

The fuel pressure will raise on a 1:1 basis with every 1psi of boost. You're only concerned with what the fuel pressure is at idle. For the 2G ECU, the pressure needs to be adjusted to around 43psi at idle as Keith noted

As to your A/F readings, the Innovate Wideband needs to be recalibrated every once and a while. You can find instructions on that through a Google search

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/LC-1_Manual.pdf

Or you have exhaust leaks. Where is your WB sensor located on the exhaust system?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back