The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Gearsets interchangable? awd to fwd?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8s_are_slow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Panama City, Florida
My car is currently a 98 GS-T and the tranny grinds pretty good. Picked up another fwd tranny last night but was told it grinds as well. I have a 95 awd tranny that I plan to use for an awd conversion but until I can get it done, I was thinking of pulling the gears out of the awd tranny to put into the fwd. Question is, can I pull just the gear set to throw into the fwd so that I don't have a grinding tranny? I only have about 2 weeks to make a decision on what to do. Thanks.

Well that blows. Thanks for the info though so I don't go wasting my time on it.

I tried it cause they "look" close. But won't work. Thanks for the info though.

I tried it cause they "look" close. But won't work. Thanks for the info though.

If theres ever a question about what part is compatible with what model/year, download caps and look up the part numbers for each model/year. Thats the quickest way to get a response on these kinds of things.

Put a VCE (viscus coupling eliminator) in the awd trany until you can complete the awd swap that is what I am going to do to get my spyder on the road.

EDIT: Also have you check your shifter bushings to make sure they are not the cause of your grinding?

If theres ever a question about what part is compatible with what model/year, download caps and look up the part numbers for each model/year. Thats the quickest way to get a response on these kinds of things.

Link to "caps" that you're talking about???

Put a VCE (viscus coupling eliminator) in the awd trany until you can complete the awd swap that is what I am going to do to get my spyder on the road.

EDIT: Also have you check your shifter bushings to make sure they are not the cause of your grinding?

That's the plan but for now, just have to get by on the fwd tranny until I'm ready to do the awd conversion. Just had to tear down and rebuild my fwd tranny a few days ago cause it was crap. It's shifting better than it ever has now though since I've owned this car. Just gonna be easy on the shifting until I can get the Shep stage 4 tranny I plan to buy.

Thanks. That's one link to add to the favorites file.

Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead but has anyone tried this? Why wont it work? The only Thing you are changing as far as the gears go is the casing around them and the output, i would say as long as the intermediate meshes with the center diff instead of the output shaft it would work... I noticed they trade off the thickness of the output gear with the 4th gear idler on the intermediate shaft. That being said you are therefor making your output weaker by using a skinnier gear.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back