The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Gearset won't spin after torquing 36mm nuts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkMatterM4

Probationary Member
Dec 15, 2020
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Hi all,

I'm replacing my 3-4 shift fork and I got most of the transmission back together. I just finished torquing the 36mm nuts (109 ft-lbs)on the intermediate and input shafts and was about to put the end case on. At this moment, I noticed that I am no longer able to spin the gears by hand. I loosened the nuts and I am again able to spin the gears. Why is this happening and how can it be fixed?

That's exactly what happened and I'm an idiot. As soon as I figured it out, your reply came through. Thank you very much

Be careful getting it off since you don't have the lip. The gear will chip easily if you pry on it too hard. Hopefully it just slides off.

I just asked this on a new thread I created. What's the proper way to get the 5th intermediate gear off? I assume that the 5th input assembly just slides off, right?

And, glad the OP figured it out and hopefully no harm done. Been there, done that...

In my case, it just slid right off after I took the 36mm nut off. But I know some people use a gear puller on the intermediate 5th, since it has a groove to accommodate one.

Thanks. I want to know exactly what to expect and be prepared for before I take the trans off so down time and chances of making mistakes are minimized.

Most if the ones I've done the intermediate didn't slide off. There is a lip on the gear you can lock onto with a bearing separator and then pull the gear off with a puller. Do NOT try and pry it off with screwdrivers. You will chip it.

You mean an actual splitter that has 2 parts that bolt together sort of like an aperture, not a 2 or 3 jaw puller as I've seen some advise to use but which look like they could damage the gear since they grab onto the teeth?

Yes. You use two tools simultaneously. A puller can't grab that lip so you grab the lip with a splitter then grab the splitter with a puller. It's less complicated than it sounds

Not complicated, I'm familiar with both types of tools. Just making sure. I've used both types in the past for other driveline jobs, e.g. getting the inner wheel bearing race off a hub flange w/o having to do the sketchy angle grinder thing.

I'm basically breaking the trans rebuild down into each single step and memorizing and even visualizing it so that when I actually do it, there should be few surprises, and this was one of the steps I wasn't sure about as many guides are unclear.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back