The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

1G gear wont go in

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1sick1g187

Probationary Member
Jan 24, 2012
Ohare, Illinois
ok i got the car together finally (91 talon tsi awd) the problem is that it will not go into gear when the car is on, the clutch pedal feels super soft, i dont know what the problem may be. when the car is off it will go into gear ( previous owner had remote start so it doesnt need the clutch pushed in to start it) i need some insight, when the car is on i push the clutch in but wont go into any gears it just grinds... also noticed that the slave cylinder is pushing the fork all the way to the left and not letting it go.
Transmission was good when i purchased it and clutch is also brand new. I ordered a slave cylinder but it will be here on tuesday and i just want to drive it already.

If the slave cylinder is moving the fork all the way to the left but not letting it return, the clutch should be pressed, and the car should be able to shift gears because the transmission shouldn't be spinning. So, I'd say for one, the pressure plate is bad, because it should force the release fork back away from the pressure plate. Secondly. if there is wear on the pivot ball/release fork where they meet, there will be alot of play in it, moving your pivot point further away from the pressure plate, and potentially not allowing the ToB to even reach the pressure plate, in which case the pressure plate might not be bad. I see that you replaced the clutch, did you also replace the pressure plate and throw out bearing? Was there any play in the release fork? When the slave cylinder is not extended, where does the fork sit? If it isn't most of the way to the right(facing the transmission from the front of the car) then your pivot point is off.

Sounds like something internal caused your clutch to seize.

If you start it in gear does it move with the clutch pedal pushed to the floor? If so that's obviously not good.

This tends to happen when a clutch spring fails.

First check for leaks if none bleed clutch slave cylinder. Then check the position of the clutch fork. it should be in the middle of the opening or slightly towards the driver's side of the car . If not you have 3 options, you can adjust the clutch master cylinder at the pedal to gain extra travel. you can purchase an extended slave cylinder rod or lastly remove the trans and shim the pivot ball. The idea is to gain extra travel to disengage the clutch assembly so you can shift into gear. Note. other factors that may cause this is when the clutch disc is installed with the wrong side facing the flywheel or pressure plate not torqued down properly

Last edited:
If the slave cylinder is moving the fork all the way to the left but not letting it return, the clutch should be pressed, and the car should be able to shift gears because the transmission shouldn't be spinning. So, I'd say for one, the pressure plate is bad, because it should force the release fork back away from the pressure plate. Secondly. if there is wear on the pivot ball/release fork where they meet, there will be alot of play in it, moving your pivot point further away from the pressure plate, and potentially not allowing the ToB to even reach the pressure plate, in which case the pressure plate might not be bad. I see that you replaced the clutch, did you also replace the pressure plate and throw out bearing? Was there any play in the release fork? When the slave cylinder is not extended, where does the fork sit? If it isn't most of the way to the right(facing the transmission from the front of the car) then your pivot point is off.

I bought an oe replacement clutch kit that came with everything and i made sure the clutch was installed correctly so i didnt have to go back and redo it. I will try bleeding it again and see how much play it has.

I bought an oe replacement clutch kit that came with everything and i made sure the clutch was installed correctly so i didnt have to go back and redo it. I will try bleeding it again and see how much play it has.

I'm hoping its something small but I have seen friends new clutches fail because of defects before they could leave the driveway.

I had this similar problem. I checked my clutch pedal and found fluid leaking on it. I had to replace my master cylinder and bleed it. Fixed it completely.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back