The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Gear shift problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick2g95

Probationary Member
Mar 5, 2013
Ruston, Louisiana
Hey guys,
Looking for a little help with my clutch/gear shift. Since I've had my car(about a year and a half) it's always been a little sticky when shifting into gears but I just assumed it was normal. I recently replaced my master and slave cylinder and the shifts are much better but it still can be difficult to get it into gear sometimes. I'm pretty sure its not the clutch or flywheel because the shifting itself is good its something to do with the gears themselves. I recently discovered that this problem is pretty much non existent when the car is off. I don't know if that helps or not just trying to figure it out. Hoping its not the transmission of course but any help would be appreciated.

Have ya checked the shifter base bushes or selector cables bushes? Can be the case sometimes.

Well I kind of have the same problem. Shifting into 1st gear its tricky i have to press or release the clutch just right to get it in second sometimes doesn't go in easy either, i have to press the clutch a couple of times to get it right... What can it be?

First make sure the clutch master cylinder is adjusted correctly. There are videos of how to do that. If you are on a 1g then check your adjustment on the shifter cable.

I would recommend the use of good gear oil (red line) and lastly it's sounding like possible synchro wear.

I would check you fluids. Then adjust your clutch. If that doesn't help maybe its the TOB.

I had a similar issue with my 2G GSX... then when it got bad I was not able to put 1st gear and reverse when the car was completely stopped... Took everything apart and the issue was that my transmission fork was broken...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back