The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Gauge pods for gutted interiors

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8s_are_slow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Panama City, Florida
If you have a gutted interior, what are you doing for your gauges? I'd like to put mine on the A-pillar but don't want a bunch of hoses and wires just hanging out. I'd like it to at least look clean. Ideas? Pics? Thanks.

v8s_are_ slow - where as I do not have a 1G, I don't think it would actually matter. When I first got my 2G it did not hve the factory plastic A Pilar, I had to order one. I already had the 2 Gauge pod for my A Pilar and I just put it up to see what it was going to fit like. You should be able to fashion it where it will be able to fit there as it normally would. Even if you have to put in some sort of supports maybe, I still don't see you having much of an issue. I stripped my interior already but plan to redo a few things this week before the next round of my racing series. I will snap off some pics and show you. I hope some of this helps.

Yeah man no problem. I'll be starting tomorrow night and I will post some pics up for everyone to see.

Keep in mind that you guys are running different generation cars. I guess it wouldn't really matter too much with stripped interiors though. I guess the best choice would be to run a sheet metal dash, and drill holes to mount gauges right in it.

Wire looms??? I don't want it looking ghetto. And that I'm afraid would probably do just that.

How would wire loom make it look ghetto? I think it makes for a very clean and stealthy install - and like it came from the factory. I just redid a lot of wiring in my car and I think it looks a lot cleaner than it did originally. You'll just have to get some various sizes so that the wires fit nicely inside without much extra space.

Nevermind. I dunno why I was thinking zipties when you said wireloom.

I actually use the combination of both zip ties and wire loom on every wire in the car if I can. Not only does it look clean, it is very protective and avoids wires flapping around where they can become stripped and short out.

You could mount it to the dash. Thats where I have my fuel pressure gauge mounted. I took the smallest sized worm clamp and tightened it to where I could just slide the gauge in and out of the clamp. Then I tac welded it to the U-clip that came with the gauge. And used double sided tape to hold it the the dash. You could say it looks ghetto, but it's very effective. I'll get pics later.

I'm sure that wire looms and zipties would be okay. But just zipties like I was thinkin would look kinda crappy. I don't want them on the dash. Would rather have it in my natural line of sight if I'm flying down the road and fighting torque steer, ya know? But all pics and ideas appreciated,

HVAC area, unless you ripped that out too.

No but I like having heat during the winter. Keeping all vents.

Ok here are some pics of what I did for you. Pardon the roughness of some, I forgot my camera at home and used my phone to take these. Also, you will notice some double sided tape here and there because I pulled it off to show you what I had done. So here are the pics. I hope these give you some idea of what I did and help you out some. And as you can see, no wires can be seen once it is all put together.

Ok, this shot is of the double A Pilar gauge pod lining up with the factory A Pilar. Even if you strip your interior like I have, it might be a good idea to go ahead and keep the factory A Pilar there.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Another shot of the dual pod gauge holder and factory A Pilar.

Then I put double sided tape where I needed the dual gauge pod to contact the factory A Pilar.

Then go ahead a push the dual gauge pod against the factory A Pilar and make sure all the double sided tape has attached to the factory A Pilar.

Here is another shot of what it looks like fully attached and ready to go.

almostquick - That is where I will be putting mine in the off-season. Just not in the vents, I have been working on an aluminum dash insert there to take the place of all of that. To have my switches, ignition etc. to put on there as well. Looks good though.

Now thats a custom BOV location! :thumb:

Funny !!!!

I no longer have the factory A-pillar trim piece. Wondering if I bought the A-pillar gauge pod and put on there without the stock piece behind it, if it'd fit okay or not.

Got pics.

First is how I have it mounted. Never mind the mess in the vent, a 2 gauge vent pod in the works with an electric oil pressure gauge.

2nd picture shows O-M-G my roof collapsed on my car!!!!! Well at least you can see how the A-pillar gauge pods and the fuel pump gauge are at the same height, both are perfectly in my vision and easily noticeable from my peripheral vision

Attachments

• Gauge Instal.jpg
    Gauge Instal.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Gauge Install 2.jpg
    Gauge Install 2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 186
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back