The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

gauge install wiring?(searched)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l2yanE

Probationary Member
Feb 5, 2006
Front Royal , Virginia
well i did some searching and couldnt come up with anything helpfull, ive got my car torn apart so i really cant do any testing with a testlight and figure it out on my own, so im wiring up my new 4 new gauges and am wondering were i can get a good source for the gauge lights for lights on switched power??? and a good place to tie into for just switch power?

I wired the lights for my gauges to the cigarette lighter. They are fused and you can dim them. I only have 2 though so with your for that might be a little to much power drawn from there. Mine are a little dim, but still very visible.

pecka said:
I wired the lights for my gauges to the cigarette lighter. They are fused and you can dim them. I only have 2 though so with your for that might be a little to much power drawn from there. Mine are a little dim, but still very visible.

Four gauge bulbs should be fine cause they do have VERY little current draw.

Tapping the cigarette lighter for anything is not the best thing to do. It is alright for something that is going to pull very very little current, but I would definately consider tapping it somewhere else. The ideal condition would be to run it directly from the ignition harness with relays that would supply the gauges with power when you turn the lights on, but that gets a little complicated.

I have mine tapped directly off of the light switch. It's not my personal opinion of the best way to do it, but I wasn't the one to run the wire and I haven't had a chance to change it. The light switch in most cars are designed to handle a lot of current and can definately handle the extra current that the gauges are going to require.

I agree with ChvyKc. I definitely do not want to promote wiring lights off the cig lighter. It's not an ideal install and would not be my recommendation, but it "could" work.

Perfect, but I need to figure out how to hide the wiring since the gauge is under my radio and not on the pillar. :hmm:

That's the easy part. Just run the wires up behind the radio and over behind the factory gauges. I've got two gauges in the center vent and one in the factory ash try location and running the wires over to the dimmer switch was a piece of cake. You'll see when you start working on it.

Hope this helps!

I used the wiring harness from my stereo to feed my gauges...of course I don't have a radio though. The cigarette lighter is also a safe bet for low-draw electronics.

i ran power from my battery with a fuse link
used the cigarette light for my light and dim source.
and the cigarette lighter it self for the switchable source. (dont use cigarette lighter)

if not run a wire with fuse inline strait from the fuse box in the car with a male edge and put it in with the cigarette lighter fuse. some of the companies that sell gauges actually tell you to do it this way but their way involves buying a special fuse connector that cost 10 bucks i just made my own instead.:thumb:

i did mine a very unique way i wired them into my cruise control. so i can turn them on and off with my cruise switch. i have had no issues doing it this way

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back