The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Gauge cluster issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xarzor

Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2020
Denver, Colorado
I posted about a year ago in the forums about a intermittent issue I was having with my gauge cluster. I would randomly have backing lights then not. Changed my cabin dimmer switch and didn't solve the problem. So while I was changing my dash I pulled the cluster and found what I think is the problem.

I'll attach a photo. I found a melted wire on the cluster circuit board. Is the repairable?

Can I swap odometer?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm not sure if the is the correct forum to post this question in. Apologies.

It looks repairable to me. However, whatever caused the trace to melt in the first place might repeat the problem if it's still present.
Not sure if the circuit membranes are still available, but if you are looking to replace it for a 2g manual turbo it looks like part number MR149309, or part number MR149311 for autos.

I'm not sure. This is the first time I've had the cluster out since I bought the car two years ago. Looks like it overheated and started to melt.

Is the odometer able to be removed? I don't have much experience. I have another cluster out of a 98 GST spyder, but it has 20k more miles.

What's the difference between the manual and the auto cluster? I have another from a parts car which is an auto.

Never mind my last post. I realized that the automatic will have the gear select in the cluster. Thanks again for the part number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the auto cluster will have a light to indicate that the overdrive (4th gear) is locked out by the button on the shift lever.

There may be other differences. My impression is there are a bunch of variations on instrument clusters. Some cars have and others don't have indicator lights for a low radiator fluid reservoir, some have and others don't have an indicator for low washer fluid, etc. I would try to repair this with a jumper rather than replacing the cluster.

And they did it by scrambling the indicators. I don't know why they did this rather than just providing all the functions and not hooking up or providing bulbs for anything that's not on this car.

But the first thing I'd do is try to figure out why that trace burned up. There isn't a normal way for that to happen -- the loads are little bitty light bulbs -- so ... ??? Maybe some metal junk wedged in behind the cluster? Maybe it's from a wreck and that caused the trouble?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back