The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Gas pedal and gas gauge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truwarrior

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 19, 2002
Maybe its just me but doesn't it seem like at about 3/4 the way down on the gas the car just hauls ass but for the remaining 1/4 left it doesn't do much of anything... Is that normal? Should I adjust it some how?

Also my gas metter never goes all the way up to full. Is that normal? It get up between full and 3/4 a tank. Thanks.

Are u running a differnt ECU?... because i am and all my gauges R retarded too..
like the RPM flutters while the car is on boost and then wen it hits full boost it falls to 0 Rpm... and my speedo doesnt work at all,.. and my gas light comes on at 1/4 of a tank full.. WTF?

...but i have heard that it does that cause i got a '91 ecu in my '90 DSM.

I think its a 99 ecu. Not sure though but when I bough the car the whole thing looked stock.

At least on a 1G the ECU isn't involved with the gas gauge. (Can't say on a 2G but I expect it's the same) The sender is just a variable resistor. So either the wiring is bad, the sendor is bad, or the float got bent.

I don't follow the rest. Are you saying the car is faster but the last 1/4 tank doesn't last as long as the second or third 1/4.?
As the tank emptys your hauling less weight. If your sender is hosed you could have a lot less than 1/4 left.

Steve

Opps I meant 3/4 on the gas petal. I usually don't get on it much so I'm not sure if this is normal. Anyway I was cruiseing and decided to give it some gas so I got about 3/4 down on the gas pedal and waited a 1 sec for the front to come back down then when I gave it the rest of the 1/4 pedal left it felt like I was still at 3/4 pedal. I think it's normal but not sure. Just not sure if maybe it could be running too rich or something? Only mod on right now is my intake. All the gas pedal does is open the throttle body right? Doubt it's running lean.

So your guys gas gauge goes ALL the way up to full? 2Gs not 1Gs.

Please fix your profile so we all know what kind of car you have. It's no fun guessing. :)

A generic problem between both generations is a misadjusted throttle cable that doesn't open the throttle butterfly 100%. I've heard a few complaints from 2G guys that there is something on the floorboard that keeps the pedal from going all the way down. I can't think of anything else off hand. Getting too tired to think straight.

Steve

There's a fuel gauge fix page on clubdsm.com not sure what page though.

That gas pedal thing is normal. The car hits full boost even when the throttle still has 1/4 way to go. That's why larger throttle bodies aren't a common upgrade, it flows well enough stock.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back