The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Gas gauge on 1G wont work below 1/4

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiTownHussla

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 16, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Hey guys, My gas gauge works pretty good except when I am really low on gas, my needle goes well below the E for Empty on the gauge. any ways to fix? what do I do? I would like a working gas gauge in case I lend someone my vehicle. Thanks in advance

The float to sense the level may be bent or caught up on something. Does your low fuel light work?

You got about 3 gallons left when that low fuel light comes on. Tank hold 15.9 gallons from total dry til the release lever lets go on the filler hose.

Trying to keep it low on fuel so nobody wants to borrow the car?

Good practice is to hit the gas station when the needle hit the half line. Sure more trips to the station, but you reducing the fact of moisture condensation in the tank if you keep it full...esp during these cold months and esp up there in Chicago.

You got about 3 gallons left when that low fuel light comes on. Tank hold 15.9 gallons from total dry til the release lever lets go on the filler hose.

Trying to keep it low on fuel so nobody wants to borrow the car?

Good practice is to hit the gas station when the needle hit the half line. Sure more trips to the station, but you reducing the fact of moisture condensation in the tank if you keep it full...esp during these cold months and esp up there in Chicago.

Well its kind of an old gas saving trick, never have more weight then you need kinda thing LOL. so to fix this issue, I have to do what exactly?

Guess, I missed something here, but when you add fuel, does the needle remain at below empty?

If so, at the end of the tank when you look underneath is the electrical connections for both fuel pump and sending unit wire.

Check those connections out. Or, you could have a gone fuse that runs to the fuel gauge - - one under the dash on driver's side..

On my way to work I see an old man in a dodge truck every morning getting $5 in gas. Apparently he knows this old trick.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Well the trick makes sense right? less gas= less weight to jug around....and the gas gauge works perfectly above 1/4 tank. anything below 1/4 and I see it but cant gauge it well. (sry cant explain better) the needdle will move lower as I use more gas, but i dont see a consistent pattern in the gas in there and where it nmoves below 1/4 tank

That's because the tank gets narrower towards the bottom and the float becomes more sensitive down there, too because of the angle of the arm.

..along with the back of the tank being on the cone shaped side for the need of fuel expansion. I think all fuel gauges are set up where, on a complete fill, the needle sits up at the F for a while, then gradually lowers to the 3/4 mark. Then, it takes a nose dive to the half and goes pretty steady from there.

Gee, with gas close to 3 bucks a gallon, that old guy is shoving in close to 2 gallons with his 5 bucks. And with an old Dodge getting 14mpg, he' prob hitting the pumps twice a day...and I bet the bottom of his tank has a good layer of water at the bottom of it.

Sorry, can't see that form of logic.... outside that a low tank is harder to steal gas out of-and it deterrs someone wanting to borrow (or steal) the vehicle.

My gas tank never goes back up to full anymore. Anyone know a good guide to fixing the float? Damn predictive text, edited for mistake.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back