The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Garrett GTX3076 Turbo pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95eclipser

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 3, 2006
Manassas, Virginia
Hey guys, we got are first batch of the new GTX 3076 series turbos from Garrett today. And i just wanted to share some pics of the turbo for the community to see.:thumb:

From Left to Right : GT3076 : GTX3076

~Drew

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Wow thanks for the pics, I get tired of the Generic pictures that resellers put up on their sites.

The compressor wheel looks wild. Looks like it flows 55lbs a minute according to Garrett's compressor map. Wonder what the spool is like on a .82 A/R T3 housing.

I have been drooling over this for a while, and those tial vband housings are sex.

Wow thanks for the pics, I get tired of the Generic pictures that resellers put up on their sites.

I have been drooling over this for a while, and those tial vband housings are sex.

Those are beautiful! That compressor wheel in the GTX is crazy looking. Tial v-band turbine housing FTW

haha you guys are welcome. I might be selling S2k, and scion tc turbo kits here at work but i'm still a DSM'r at heart ;)

Lock this thread! Unless we get dyno resaults!!!! I'm sick of seeing pics with no tests yet LOL

Wow, wonder how these compare to the Forced Performance HTA turbos. Cant wait to see some results on these turbos.

I spoke with FP last week and he said he heard of the gtx wheels. And he said their HTA wheels are better.

I spoke with FP last week and he said he heard of the gtx wheels. And he said their HTA wheels are better.

Nothing against FP...but I would not expect them to tell you that their turbine wheel is not as good as someone elses.

Dyno Numbers versus Dyno Numbers or they shouldn't waste my time.

Nothing against FP...but I would not expect them to tell you that their turbine wheel is not as good as someone elses.

Dyno Numbers versus Dyno Numbers or they shouldn't waste my time.

Turbine wheel is the same. The compressor wheel is different.

I highly doubt a company like FP would say something like that. Between Friends i can understand that talk, but if FP wants to openly bash another companies product because there the main competition? FTL in my opinion.

Wow they look amazing! I can't wait to see some dyno results. Thanks for posting them.

Turbine wheel is the same. The compressor wheel is different.

whats the Inducer size difference between the two? If they are the same, I'd have a hard time beliving the GTX flows much more at all with and 8 million blade inducer.

These two turbos are not the same in size. I believe these are the correct measurements for the turbos. And if I'm wrong, I'm sure Justin will jump in and correct me. :p

The gt35 compressor inducer, and exducer measurements are 61.4 and 82mm respectively; the GTX wheel is 62.5 and 82.5mm.

~Drew

whats the Inducer size difference between the two? If they are the same, I'd have a hard time beliving the GTX flows much more at all with and 8 million blade inducer.
Honestly, there's one less blade on the GTX than there is on a standard GT if you're counting major and minor compressor blades. I'm seeing what appears to be (11) on the GTX, and (12) total blades on the GT.

What strikes me is the GTX is supposed to perform better at higher boost levels, but as past technology has proven (a 14B, for example) a compressor wheel with equally-sized blades performs better at lower boost levels than a staggered 6/6 design, yet tends to stumble over itself at higher boost levels where the 6/6 wheel will continue to gulp air.

Time will tell....I just don't see it being worth the price tag until someone tries one and has results that are unmatched by any other turbo.

Interesting info on garrett...

giggity giggity goo said:
Stolen from dallasdsm.org who stole it from http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1936851

Quote:
2/20/10 I work at Garrett Turbos, now called Honeywell Turbo Technologies which there so proud of. When Cliff Garrett Owned Garrett He used to brown bag his lunch everyday and cared for a quality Product. If he knew what Honeywell has done now he would turn over in his grave. Honeywell bought Garrett In 1998 or 1999. After this they opened up a turbo testing lab in shanghai China and quickly moved there turbo overhaul to Mexicali Mexico, quickly after Garrett overhaul went belly-up. So they moved there whole production to Mexicali Mexico, as if that first failure was not a sign.

Garrett Turbos made a quality product for a fair price. A turbo is a precision instrument. Garrett turbos was part of Garrett Air Research (on 190th st. In Torrance ca.) Where they have a huge facility designing turbine engines, and so on. Most of the senior technicians in our main turbo facility (Lomita Blvd Torrance ca) came from our air research. If you're building jet engines a turbo is not all that difficult. Well Cliff Garrett dies. At that time ALL production of Garrett Turbos was at Lomita Torrance ca. Also all engineering and research was there as well. After we were bought and production was sent to Mexico to save costs. Our production numbers doubled. And cost was cut in half our failure rate tripled. Well who cares Honeywell is making money and lots of it. Turbos are considered Honeywell's golden egg. They feel that turbos are going to take over big. Which it already has in the diesel market. We make ford diesel turbos, daf, Chevrolet, some Audi, vw, fiat, Perkins. Millions of turbos. And there now all coming from china and Mexico. Well up until lately the company figured if the product was designed in the US and assembled in Mexico we would be ok. Well to further there profit and **** the customer once again....the LAST of what makes turbo American leaves in January 2011. We will close the doors to the Torrance Lab. In Torrance we did all our racing turbos (wrc stuff, Audi racing etc..) then in the garret garage we did the turbos you people buy for your Subaru's. Actually I take that back. They take turbos that were made on a production line somewhere else in the world, and change a couple of parts on a bench in Torrance (wheels, housing..etc) and send it to you the customer saying it was made in the us.....no it was not it was just repackaged and altered a little. Well as of Jan 2011 all your turbos will be made in Mexico or china or Czech Republic. This is the last Garrett facility in the United States.

We have huge law suits pending due to turbo failures. GM is probably going to leave us.... ford has already sued us. Caterpillar has one of the largest recalls in garret history in the process. Our name is becoming ****. The last few VERY smart guys left in the company are being fired to save costs, but see our profit is already good.....they just want more. Please don't spend 1500$ on a gt35r. Now that it's costing Honeywell less to build turbos do you think you will see a smaller bill when you order there product? NO!. They are going to charge you even more for even less. There are countless procedures that are being terminated everyday that made our turbos THE BEST. They keep cutting corner after corner. Did you know that we shave metal off our turbine and compressor housings until they are at the EXTREME minimum needed to contain in the event of failure they are shaving every nickel off the cost of a turbo. Did you know that 2000$ gt40 you buy is all mark up. I won't dare say the actual cost to the company in fear of a lawsuit but lets just say your sales tax is more then the production cost.

Do not buy these turbos. BorgWarner and mitsu are trying there best to compete with us making a quality product. Honeywell is using its big name to back junky turbos Like Toyota is starting to do. I guarantee in the next 8 months you will see a huge decline in quality. All designing and production is in CHINA AND MEXICO. Honeywell is taking back all there benefits they used to supply us with as employees. That way when they lay us off its as cheap as possible. Instead of saying "Well after we take a hit laying those people off we will make tons" they are just taking back all there benefits so they walk away clean and clear. We used to get a severance package. Which they just took away. One of the head engineers involved in the t3 project. (Designing the first t3) he is still with our company. he was supposed to get 44 weeks of pay if he ever got layed off (30 days and 1 week for every year with the company. 40 years with the company)Due to the new Honeywell rules he gets only 16 weeks pay they stole all that pack after promising it to him for 40 years. My fingers and about to fall off typing all this and I am heated so I don't care about grammar I'm concerned about you people not supporting a Nazi company. Take your business elsewhere. Somewhere where you will get what your money pays for. Have a nice day and don't forget if you hear the name HTT Honeywell Turbo Technologies Stay away

(They still use the garret stamp on the turbos)

2/28/10

Oh my.... I just looked at this post after I made it....SPREADING LIKE WILD FIRE! I am not a troll, and I had no Idea this was going to go ape ****. It seems like my grammar is more of a topic then my message. I am not going to try and prove to anyone where I work because I know where I work, On Lomita blvd in Torrance. Those who got the message I am glad. To the owner of the truck with failing turbos, the company is very well aware of our failure. When we have a turbo fail under warranty it is put back in the box at the dealer and shipped to our building. Where we have a technician who tests to see if the turbo was an actual failure or if it was misdiagnosed. When it was determined a failure it is recorded and we try to figure out why. Well the entire building is now full of boxed defective turbos. In a matter of 2 years we filled the building. These are only gt37-gt45
Size turbos. I don't know where the rest of them go.

In our engine testing cells, all we are doing right now is "Warranty Testing" which is figuring out why our turbos our failing and coming up with a fix. Unfortunately when they try to fix it they are in a RUSH. And trying to do so as cost effectively as possible. So these fixes are just band aids. And these fixes would not have to be made if they did not rush in the first place or try to save costs. I understand outsourcing is not entirely bad nor is it the reason our company is producing poor quality. The reason is the massive cost reduction. If your boss is rushing you. Is clearly trying to make a low cost product....are you going to put your heart and soul into the product? If he is concerned about numbers and metrics do you care about quality control? You can attack what I say. You can dissect it. You can point out my typos. But I swear to you everything I have said is true.

I should be laid off in the next 5 months. When I am I may say more depending how badly they treat us. But let me tell you Garrett Turbos was not known for shaft play in 1994. But today we are having lots of recalls. You can't deny 200,000 boxes of turbos on recall. Almost all of our VNT have "Sticking" problems. All I can say is if you have a Duramax or a Ford scorpion god be with you. And ford has not even released the scorpion and we already are having huge problems. Also if anyone knows law...and I am breaking any please message me. I would rather delete my post then go to court; it seems the people who have had problems are speaking. I think I will put this on the front page so people don't have to sort through the pages.

I am just trying to inform people of what is. I can reference everything I say but I dont want to drag anyone else I work with into it.

I can reference everything I say but I don't want to drag anyone else I work with into it. Those who say the company was bought over ten years ago why is it going bad now...we have been building other labs in other countries this entire time and trying to get shangai up to speed. Now they believe the other labs can handle the workload they are fazing us out. In June engines are shut down. It has been decided that out engine testing will be in Detroit. We will contract that out to a third party but our gas stands and endurance cells along with burst cell will be in Mexicali. That is also where the majority of the production is that we see in North America. And the lab in shanghai has engines, and gas stands. Now everything is complete time to shut down the main engineering lab. If you doubt me I can understand because there are lots of talkers on the internet its hard to weed out, thats your choice Im just here to try.

3/20/10

I quit my job at honeywell a few days ago. The employees are so upset at the company but they take it out on each other, I left and I am now doing turbocharger overhaul (stick it to the man). Most people who I work with are scared and are mad they are losing there job. Only a few guys who were with the company for a long time really care about the product. Guys who designed our best products. I was not with the company as long as they were, However I do care for the product not for the job, I still have my subaru. Which needs a ball bearing turbo. (Which I made with our best stuff) But not everyone can make there own. Now has access to parts. So what to do?

I plan to eventually build my own turbos. I am looking into manufacturing but out this time it is out of my reach. If you need your turbo rebuild. I can do it.

I am not an employee who is pissed off about losing his jobs, I am an upset consumer who is sad to see a quality company, bought up, chewed up, and spit out as a mass produced piece of junk . When I look at the new turbos being stamped out the specs are just " kinda sorta" nothing is the way it used to be...I guess grow up and move on, its just sad to see this happen.

Hopefully I have a good turbo you people can buy and be happy with in a few years. The end of the Garrett Story

(PS. those of you who keep saying buy turbonetics...thats a revised Garrett.

Last edited by a moderator:

The compressor wheel looks wild. Looks like it flows 55lbs a minute according to Garrett's compressor map. Wonder what the spool is like on a .82 A/R T3 housing.

It looks like the GTX3076 flows 65lbs/min

The GTX3071 flows 55lb/min.

Hey guys, we got are first batch of the new GTX 3076 series turbos from Garrett today. And i just wanted to share some pics of the turbo for the community to see.:thumb:

From Left to Right : GT3076 : GTX3076

~Drew

This pic shows where most of the extra airflow comes from. Compare the center hub of the wheels and you can see the old turbo had a larger hub, like most old tech turbos. The new billet wheel has a smaller hub with longer fins, which gives it more area. Most of the new billet wheels are made this way, which is how they can flow more air with smaller wheels.

Last edited:

This pic shows where most of the extra airflow comes from. Compare the center hub of the wheels and you can see the old turbo had a larger hub, like most old tech turbos. The new billet wheel has a smaller hub with longer fins, which gives it more area. Most of the new billet wheels are made this way, which is how they can flow more air with smaller *stronger* wheels.

Fixey for you

Honestly, there's one less blade on the GTX than there is on a standard GT if you're counting major and minor compressor blades. I'm seeing what appears to be (11) on the GTX, and (12) total blades on the GT.

What strikes me is the GTX is supposed to perform better at higher boost levels, but as past technology has proven (a 14B, for example) a compressor wheel with equally-sized blades performs better at lower boost levels than a staggered 6/6 design, yet tends to stumble over itself at higher boost levels where the 6/6 wheel will continue to gulp air.

Time will tell....I just don't see it being worth the price tag until someone tries one and has results that are unmatched by any other turbo.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw this new turbo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back