The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Garrett GT3076R Cant build more than 10psi boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Because they'll collapse and control boost for you. Drop the downpipe and shine a light up there or drop the dp off the o2 and see if you can build that 25psi...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

:dsm:

that's why i have a 1g header/collecotr/downpipe with 2 glasspacks and an N1 muffler ;) no flexpipe here. mines NA so it wouldn't matter anyway.

Thought I'd update this. I put a thermal exhaust on the car and that helped but it still didn't boost right, it would work for a while then wouldn't and it got extremely annoying. I discovered literally 99% of the boost the turbo would build would go right into the crank case. I did a BLT at the compressor cover, it all leaked out of the valve cover breather. I did a BLT at the throttle body and got zero blow by and perfect results from the BLT. I took the IC piping off of the turbo and tested the whole system post turbo and got no blow by and a perfect BLT test. FP says there's no way not a chance in hell that the seals are gone in it already but it looks like they are because all the boost the turbo builds is going straight through the drain tube into the crank case. So as usual it was the worst possible outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I'd update this. I put a thermal exhaust on the car and that helped but it still didn't boost right, it would work for a while then wouldn't and it got extremely annoying. I discovered literally 99% of the boost the turbo would build would go right into the crank case. I did a BLT at the compressor cover, it all leaked out of the valve cover breather. I did a BLT at the throttle body and got zero blow by and perfect results from the BLT. I took the IC piping off of the turbo and tested the whole system post turbo and got no blow by and a perfect BLT test. FP says there's no way not a chance in hell that the seals are gone in it already but it looks like they are because all the boost the turbo builds is going straight through the drain tube into the crank case. So as usual it was the worst possible outcome.

FYI, I have a 3065 and haven't BLT'ed at the t body yet, but I definitely have a lot of blowby and when I pop the oil cap off, I can hear "blop....blop...blop" like the sound of air bubble coming up through oil.

Here is the thing though, it's on two different 3065's that I have put on and tested...one of them was new.

I can however build boost. Building 30+ psi is not an issue for me, but I suspect I have some leakage as well at the turbo since I can detect no boost leaks anywhere else and wherever the leak is, it's allowing it to come up through oil...

Yea I have spoken to Nate or something like that at FP and he argued with me on the phone about it leaking so much boost through the drain. They insist that there's no way it could possibly be leaking that much through the seals into the crank case, but I've got the thing right here and it does it. He kept saying leakage is normal on a BLT, well I've done a few BLT's before and never have seen literally all of the boost leak through the turbo into the crank case unless something is wrong. If this much leakage is normal for a ball bearing garrett then I have a hard time believing people would still be using them.

I dont think I have ever done a BLT and not had it bubble into the oil pan a little bit! I think it is a normal thing unless its an insane amount leaking in there! They call them seals but its a tad bit deceiving cause there little metal rings like a piston ring!

Yea and see I've for one eliminated the PCV from the system during the tests. I went through several tests before determining that the blowby is coming from the turbo oil drain. Thats definitely where its coming from, I don't know why but thats for sure where its coming from.

Thats the thing I don't think its a healthy turbo for whatever reason. I have wanted to do another test with the pcv and everything disconnected like I did before, take a video of just how much air blows out the crank case breather. Its stupid how much comes out of there. I've been BLTing to 20psi and it feels like all 20psi is coming out of that breather hole. I think I said it earlier on in here but if I shut the air off to the tester the pressure gauge drops to 0 almost instantaneously with all the air leaking from the breather port.

You need to get a CV from US Plastics to go between the PCV and the IM, they help with leaky PCV's and they ALL leak even when they're brand new.

3/8" Kynar Standard Check Valves

Next time you call FP talk to Michael and explain to him your situation.

:dsm:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not that uncommon to get a new turbo with some defects, everybody seems to be building them these days.

Few years ago I bought a new S362 from BEP, put it on the car and went for a test drive. After few miles of driving I noticed the car smoking a little bit. So I thought well maybe my #6 line was pushing to much oil in the turbo so I went home and switched to a #4 line, went for a drive again and same thing. I came home and pulled the lower intercooler pipe off and it was full of oil.
I called BEP and they said that most likely the o-ring behind the compressor was bad and to send the turbo in and they would fix it since it was still covered under warranty. $30 there and $30 dollars back I said no thanks and took it apart myself and sure as shit that o-ring was bad. It wasn't bad because the o-ring was defective but because of a human error.

I don't know the exact name of the part that this o-ring sits around but its sits directly behind the compressor wheel and is held in by a snap ring, let's call it a ring. Anyways when this ring was installed with the o-ring around it, it had to go past the sharp edge of a snap ring grove. Whoever put this turbo together wasn't careful and just popped that ring in there, well the sharp edge of the snap ring groove shaved the o-ring perfectly around. When I took it apart I didn't find that cut off piece of the o-ring in there so it must have been removed but nevertheless the turbo was shipped to me.

I cleaned up that sharp edge, put a new o-ring in it. Went for a test drive with #6 oil feed line, car still smoked but this time no oil in the intercooler pipe. Called BEP again, they said to try and use a #4 oil feed line. Put #4 line on car still smoked. Called them again, they tell me send it in and they will fix it but this time it wasn't under warranty because I took the turbo apart myself. Instead I bought new piston ring for the exhaust side and new bearings.

Took the turbo off the car the second time, changed the bearings and the piston ring. This time I used a #4 oil feed line. Took the car for a drive and after a little break in did few 30 psi pulls. Car smoked again.

So I took the turbo off the car a third time, took it apart and this time a thrust bearing failed. So I thought, shit I knew should have used a #6 oil feed line. Call BEP again and bought a new thrust bearing. Bearing came in, put it in the turbo and back on the road again but this time with #6 line. Car still smoking.

Called BEP again and this time even they were stumped. They said send the turbo in and we will see what it really is. So I took the turbo off for the forth time and sent it in. In a week or so I get a call from BEP and they ask me if I did anything to the holes where the bearings sit because they were larger then they should be. Of course I said no because I had no reason to mess with that. I did notice the bearings being a little loose in there but since this was my first BW turbo I took apart I assumed it was normal.

Turns out the chra I got was the one that they made in house and not an actual BW. Regardless of the fact that all my troubles were caused by their flaw in their machine work they wouldn't replaced the turbo under warranty because I took it apart myself. I ended up buying from them a used bare chra and just used my wheels in it. Turbo worked fine after that with a #6 oil feed line.

So the moral to the story. Just because some company is considered bad ass doesn't mean they don't make mistakes, they just don't like to admit them :)

It is not that uncommon to get a new turbo with some defects, everybody seems to be building them these days.

Few years ago I bought a new S362 from BEP, put it on the car and went for a test drive. After few miles of driving I noticed the car smoking a little bit. So I thought well maybe my #6 line was pushing to much oil in the turbo so I went home and switched to a #4 line, went for a drive again and same thing. I came home and pulled the lower intercooler pipe off and it was full of oil.
I called BEP and they said that most likely the o-ring behind the compressor was bad and to send the turbo in and they would fix it since it was still covered under warranty. $30 there and $30 dollars back I said no thanks and took it apart myself and sure as shit that o-ring was bad. It wasn't bad because the o-ring was defective but because of a human error.

I don't know the exact name of the part that this o-ring sits around but its sits directly behind the compressor wheel and is held in by a snap ring, let's call it a ring. Anyways when this ring was installed with the o-ring around it, it had to go past the sharp edge of a snap ring grove. Whoever put this turbo together wasn't careful and just popped that ring in there, well the sharp edge of the snap ring groove shaved the o-ring perfectly around. When I took it apart I didn't find that cut off piece of the o-ring in there so it must have been removed but nevertheless the turbo was shipped to me.

I cleaned up that sharp edge, put a new o-ring in it. Went for a test drive with #6 oil feed line, car still smoked but this time no oil in the intercooler pipe. Called BEP again, they said to try and use a #4 oil feed line. Put #4 line on car still smoked. Called them again, they tell me send it in and they will fix it but this time it wasn't under warranty because I took the turbo apart myself. Instead I bought new piston ring for the exhaust side and new bearings.

Took the turbo off the car the second time, changed the bearings and the piston ring. This time I used a #4 oil feed line. Took the car for a drive and after a little break in did few 30 psi pulls. Car smoked again.

So I took the turbo off the car a third time, took it apart and this time a thrust bearing failed. So I thought, shit I knew should have used a #6 oil feed line. Call BEP again and bought a new thrust bearing. Bearing came in, put it in the turbo and back on the road again but this time with #6 line. Car still smoking.

Called BEP again and this time even they were stumped. They said send the turbo in and we will see what it really is. So I took the turbo off for the forth time and sent it in. In a week or so I get a call from BEP and they ask me if I did anything to the holes where the bearings sit because they were larger then they should be. Of course I said no because I had no reason to mess with that. I did notice the bearings being a little loose in there but since this was my first BW turbo I took apart I assumed it was normal.

Turns out the chra I got was the one that they made in house and not an actual BW. Regardless of the fact that all my troubles were caused by their flaw in their machine work they wouldn't replaced the turbo under warranty because I took it apart myself. I ended up buying from them a used bare chra and just used my wheels in it. Turbo worked fine after that with a #6 oil feed line.

So the moral to the story. Just because some company is considered bad ass doesn't mean they don't make mistakes, they just don't like to admit them :)

So a shop made a mistake and you found it. Then you allow them to not honor there warranty. Along with that you keep sending these people money? They created the problem, they sold a defective item. This is not sony or apple, they are shitty little shop. You should have had a lawyer send a letter to them to file suit for selling defective items. Let along you thought the item was new from the turbo supplier then come to find out it was redone by the shop.

I mean do you like throwing money away? Do you like not standing up for yourself and allow a shop to dictate to you what you need? Its your money...

Why support these people. You took it apart, taking a part a item that you didnt do damage to that was defective isnt you fault. You should have sent them the turbo instead of being a back yard mechanic. Its a brand new part, let them deal with it and warranty they item they sold you.

Send a shop a legal letter from a lawyer and watch them shit there pants. Because a simple warranty or false sale can cost them alot more money by getting word out.

But hey this is the DSM world were things are done the wrong way.

This is a shop/company, not a person on craigslist. You make them admit it and make it cost them not the other way around...

You also should have created a Blog along with plastered the fact they caused a mistake along with trying to take more money from you so they will learn from treating people bad like that.

I'll never buy anything from them

So a shop made a mistake and you found it. Then you allow them to not honor there warranty. Along with that you keep sending these people money? They created the problem, they sold a defective item. This is not sony or apple, they are shitty little shop. You should have had a lawyer send a letter to them to file suit for selling defective items. Let along you thought the item was new from the turbo supplier then come to find out it was redone by the shop.

I mean do you like throwing money away? Do you like not standing up for yourself and allow a shop to dictate to you what you need? Its your money...

Why support these people. You took it apart, taking a part a item that you didnt do damage to that was defective isnt you fault. You should have sent them the turbo instead of being a back yard mechanic. Its a brand new part, let them deal with it and warranty they item they sold you.

Send a shop a legal letter from a lawyer and watch them shit there pants. Because a simple warranty or false sale can cost them alot more money by getting word out.

But hey this is the DSM world were things are done the wrong way.

This is a shop/company, not a person on craigslist. You make them admit it and make it cost them not the other way around...

You also should have created a Blog along with plastered the fact they caused a mistake along with trying to take more money from you so they will learn from treating people bad like that.

I'll never buy anything from them

I only wish it was that easy. Sometimes a little money you spend is not worth the lawsuit you can get in to. There are few people on here that had their turbo fail and they paid a lot more then what I did and somehow those "reputable" companies find a way to pin the blame on the customer.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back