The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Garrett GT3076R Cant build more than 10psi boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightRider97

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 29, 2006
SW, Nebraska
Alright I've done search after search and read through a bunch of threads, I can't seem to find an answer to my problem.
I have a Garrett GT3076R DBB turbo with a special mitsu flanged, internally wastegated exhaust housing that has been on my car for about 500 miles. I cant seem to get this turbo to build more than 7-10psi. Sometimes it maxes out at 7psi others 10. The wastegate actuator is set to open at 25psi, I've tested it, it is not stuck open. The oil supply is from the filter housing with 2 inline filters and a restrictor. One filter is an aeromotive before the FP black ball bearing restricted filter. I have tested the system for boost leaks, aside from some very very small leaks from a few fittings, theres no leaks. Definitely nothing to worry about.
I honestly don't know what to do with this thing. I can't even hear it spool, these 3076's are supposed to sound like a jet engine supposedly. The turbo was new when I installed it.

No cat but yea theres a flex section. Why do you ask?

I've pushed my BLT to 30psi, over that I've got one pipe that blows off because I ran out of t bolt clamps. It takes about 15 seconds to leak back down to nothing. But its leaking past my rings and out the crank case vent.

Because they'll collapse and control boost for you. Drop the downpipe and shine a light up there or drop the dp off the o2 and see if you can build that 25psi...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

:dsm:

Holy crap! I think you just solved my extremely high engine bay temps! OMG. I never knew they would do that. Good thing I have a new Apexi down pipe and thermal exhaust waiting to go on the car. I wonder if this will even lower my engine temps because my engine keeps over heating.

I hope, for your sake, it's that simple man. Be sure to take pictures so I've got something to add to my arsenal of collapsed flex sections... LOL

Gotta help out a fellow Cornhusker!

Try going open o2 housing for a bit and see if the problem goes away....if not, I hate to say it but it sounds like the turbo may be defective. What you're describing is a dead giveaway of a blown ball bearing turbo, but I find that hard to believe with such low mileage.

I hate to say it but it sounds like the turbo may be defective. What you're describing is a dead giveaway of a blown ball bearing turbo, but I find that hard to believe with such low mileage.
That would be shitty.

What do you mean blown? Excuse my ignorance I mean no disrespect. Just trying to understand. How would this turbo be blown and show no other signs? I'm not burning oil, I saw no more than normal oil residue in the compressor housing today, I'm running the proper oil restrictor and always have for the full 500 miles I've had this turbo and it was new when I got it.

That's a worst-case scenario. You don't need smoke or shaft play for a ball bearing turbo to be blown- if the bearings get damaged, it won't build boost....simple as that.

I'm leaning more toward an issue with the exhaust or wastegate system, but you should really move the feed to the head and lose some of those restrictors and filters you have in the line- run only the black FP filter. Nobody knows for sure what stacking filters and restrictors like that will do to the amount of oil the turbo actually receives.

I have the banjo for the head location but no one has the bolt required to hook the oil feed up there.

Is it internally gated if so make sure the rod from the wastegate actuator is hooked up to the flapper on the turbo. If not then your wastegate is staying open and you might build some boost at high rpms. I had this problem on my 16g went from spooling 10 psi @ 6000 rpms to spooling 12 @ 2800 rpm. Pinto ---> Ferarri

I checked my oil feed line to the turbo today and its flowing oil, plenty of it, so I don't know how that could damage anything. From what I've read, over pressurizing the oil passage in these will only make it burn oil and not damage anything. I'm a little concerned with running with the O2 being the exit of the exhaust. Mine pretty much points directly at my oil filter.

The wastegate actuator rod is connected and pinned onto the flapper arm. It opens and closes when I apply compressed air to the actuator. I'm really hoping its just my flex pipe being blocked up.

I checked my oil feed line to the turbo today and its flowing oil, plenty of it, so I don't know how that could damage anything.
No, but two restrictors and on the feed line filters may restrict flow to a dangerously low level. The only other thing that may cause bearing damage is a dirty oil supply, but I don't see how contamination could ever make it through two filters.

Hey Justin, the first filter, we will call it the primary, is just a generic Aeromotive inline filter, there is no restrictor ports in it, the second one is the FP filter with the restrictor in it for the ball bearing turbo. So essentially only the secondary filter has the restrictor in it and the primary one is just to pre filter any large debris. Its a MUCH larger filter than the FP one. I was concerned that if anything large ever happened to get into that FP filter it would just plug it up immediately because of how small it is. Thats why I purchased and installed the much larger aeromotive filter before the FP one. Do you think just because theres 2 filters that is going to restrict it too much even though only the one has a restrictor in it?

If any large debris makes it to the FP filter after bypassing your engine oil filter enough to plug it in an immediate manner, you've got much bigger problems than potential turbo damage. Your ball bearing turbo isn't going to fail from lack of oil with the one FP filter in place unless you grossly neglect to clean and inspect the element.

I'd just feed it from the the head as a sub-40psi pressure source using only the FP filter as recommended by both Garrett and FP....but I have the feeling that's not going to solve your boosting issue.

Hey Justin, the first filter, we will call it the primary, is just a generic Aeromotive inline filter, there is no restrictor ports in it, the second one is the FP filter with the restrictor in it for the ball bearing turbo. So essentially only the secondary filter has the restrictor in it and the primary one is just to pre filter any large debris. Its a MUCH larger filter than the FP one. I was concerned that if anything large ever happened to get into that FP filter it would just plug it up immediately because of how small it is. Thats why I purchased and installed the much larger aeromotive filter before the FP one. Do you think just because theres 2 filters that is going to restrict it too much even though only the one has a restrictor in it?

I would really doubt it.

So, did you check on the flex section yet? it hardly takes any time to do so.

It would be nice to rule that out.

Well is it really safe to disconnect the down pipe from the O2 and run it open for a few miles to check it out? I don't like how the O2 exits above the oil filter, it makes me nervous, but if others have done it without issue I might try it.

Well is it really safe to disconnect the down pipe from the O2 and run it open for a few miles to check it out? I don't like how the O2 exits above the oil filter, it makes me nervous, but if others have done it without issue I might try it.
^^ Post #17. ^^

Well Im not sure what I did, but all of a sudden it started boosting. I laid on it last night and it backfired pretty badly, so I babied it til I got home. Nothing looked amiss so I think my tune just isn't very good for this new turbo. I took it out this morning to check the tune and when I laid into it this morning it spooled up and maxed out my boost gauge before even hitting 4500rpm. I don't know if the backfire had something to do with it but its odd to say the least. Maybe you're right and that wastegate isn't seating flat or something. I mean it looks like its making its full swing from the outside of the housing by looking at the rod, but maybe its just barely staying open a bit.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back