The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Garage struggles

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

609DSM

Proven Member
Aug 13, 2019
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
I am at my wits ends with my situation. This whole virus thing doesn't help.

Recently I've been looking for somewhere to rent garage space to fix up my talon but can't find anyone willing to rent their space to me. I have the money to afford it right now. I only have hand tools (apart from my Milwaukee impact driver).

When I say "I will be maintaining my vehicle" and thats putting it lightly since I need to pull the engine, they lose their mind thinking I'm gonna be running a shop and using air tools and making a bunch of noise.

Anyone have advice or suggestions? Should I just wait, I would prefer not to since I have the time and money to fix my talon.

Think they go for $30-50 a month and some places don’t care what you do LOL

Where are these unicorn storage/self work facilities for vehicles?? I've looked around my area for just enclosed garage storage, not even climate controlled or anything, and I haven't found a place for less than 300 a month. I even tried to do just a covered pole building storage and it was almost 100 a month, and none of them would allow working on the car.
I ended up storing the vehicle in a field for about 40 a month, and at the time it was the best I could find.

If you can find an enclosed storage area for that cheap that has a garage door etc, then you can close it up and work on it all you want. Long as you keep it clean, low noise and all then they can really look inside to see what you're doing without asking you first. I can't imagine it's take long these days to do the work you need either as long as you have the right tools.

So its currently at a public storage chain place just in a cheap parking spot. After looking around and being honest blah blah, I just said f*** it. Got a 20x20 on reserve at the same facility. I only have hand tools so noise isn't much an issue. But I have an oil leak coming from my front case and a timing job needs done so I'm gonna have to pull the engine to do all this. Along with an improperly installed oil return line that leaks, also it is leaking gas from the fuel sending line I believe. Not sure whats up with that gas leak if its a nut on the line that isn't tight or if it's a poor install of the fuel pump

So its currently at a public storage chain place just in a cheap parking spot. After looking around and being honest blah blah, I just said f*** it. Got a 20x20 on reserve at the same facility. I only have hand tools so noise isn't much an issue. But I have an oil leak coming from my front case and a timing job needs done so I'm gonna have to pull the engine to do all this. Along with an improperly installed oil return line that leaks, also it is leaking gas from the fuel sending line I believe. Not sure whats up with that gas leak if its a nut on the line that isn't tight or if it's a poor install of the fuel pump

You don't have to pull the engine to do all that, I just did the same I'm my car for similar reasons and the engine never left it's mounts (save unhooking the driver-side mount).

It's easier with the engine out, yes, but it's not necessary, just alot more work if you don't have to pull it. Either way it's up to you, and with hand tools I can't imagine they'd complain if you keep things clean.

Last edited:
Wait cause I'm not sure if I have a balance shaft delete or not and I would like to remove it. I have done a timing job on my 420a without removing the engine. So even checking/replacing the oil pump sprockets is doable with the engine inside? This would make it easier for me haha, I would prefer to NOT remove the engine.

My buddy rented a unit to store his belongings while their home was being built about 10 years ago and it was large enough to fit a car. Maybe it was a little tight to work on one and he was paying $30 something a month. But it depends if they’re willing to let you work on a car

Wait cause I'm not sure if I have a balance shaft delete or not and I would like to remove it. I have done a timing job on my 420a without removing the engine. So even checking/replacing the oil pump sprockets is doable with the engine inside? This would make it easier for me haha, I would prefer to NOT remove the engine.

You shouldn't have to remove the engine. You can remove the front case with the rear balance shaftt attached, it takes some small finagling, but I just did it on mine. I had a race shaft (turned down) and swapped to a standard stub shaft while doing the work. The front shaft you can unbolt the pulley and leave in the engine, then remove by either tilting the engine or just leave it in if you do a BSE, and don't hook the belt back up.

Thank you guys for the information! I ended up snagging the 20x20x9 for a reasonable price. There wasn't a direct property manager but the lady who hooked me up said she was basically the property manager and she lives on the lot there above the office. I mentioned my car needed some work but didn't ask about working on it there, my space is kind of tucked away which is sweet. Wanted to make a good first impression and she seemed to like me. Its a solid place for storage and out of the elements, hopefully I can do some work on my talon while she's there!

Thank you guys for the information! I ended up snagging the 20x20x9 for a reasonable price. There wasn't a direct property manager but the lady who hooked me up said she was basically the property manager and she lives on the lot there above the office. I mentioned my car needed some work but didn't ask about working on it there, my space is kind of tucked away which is sweet. Wanted to make a good first impression and she seemed to like me. Its a solid place for storage and out of the elements, hopefully I can do some work on my talon while she's there!
That's a nice big space!!! almost a 2 car garage, nice!

Storage facility managers are easy to impress. They expect people to be rude, miss all of their payments, and make a mess of the place. Don't be an ass and you're immediately on their good side.

I had a Talon in a storage facility years ago that was notorious for kicking people out. I did an engine swap and a transmission refresh in that unit and even had the manager come by to ask how the car was doing. I spilled about a gallon of used oil across the concrete when I was packing everything up and the owner was shocked when I asked if they had a supply of oil dry that I could use to clean up my mess. Apparently making an attempt to clean was more effort than they had ever seen anyone exert. What were we talking about again?

Around here your looking at around $100 for non climate controlled storage unit big enough for a car and not much else, maybe a 10X20 or so, those $30 prices might be for a motorcycle sized unit, but here you likely wouldn't even get that or anything at all for $30, the $100 ones take a month or six waiting to get in even.

I pay an extra 15 a month for up to 5000 insured and my total is something like 197 each month. The lady gave me some chemical in a bucket to absorb moisture as well. Told me about all the bad tenants she had haha. I'm happy with it, just got to move all my tools now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back