The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Gap between pressure plate and flywheel?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sublime83

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 20, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba_Canada
I just finished putting the new flywheel on and I am about to put the new disk and pressure plate on the flywheel. I lined up everything with the alignment tool and the dowel pins. I noticed there is about a 1/4 gap between the pressure plate mounting holes/flange and the holes drilled into the flywheel..

Are these two surfaces not supposed to meet each other or is there something messed up with the new flywheel/pp I got?

Thanks,
Chris.

Its like the pressure plate is floating above the flywheel surface.. the dowel pins in the flywheel are flush with the top of the pressure plate flange.. Im not sure if this is normal or what.. Wana figure this out before I put everything back together..

You'll start running the bolts in BY HAND that secure the pressure plate to the flywheel. Do a star pattern, hand-tightening as you go. The pressure plate-to-flywheel bolts don't take much to be tightened....12 lb./ft. of torque if I remember correctly? The gap you're seeing won't be anything to worry about; as you'll see, it'll slowly disappear as you begin tightening.

You'll start running the bolts in BY HAND that secure the pressure plate to the flywheel. Do a star pattern, hand-tightening as you go. The pressure plate-to-flywheel bolts don't take much to be tightened....12 lb./ft. of torque if I remember correctly? The gap you're seeing won't be anything to worry about; as you'll see, it'll slowly disappear as you begin tightening.

just be sure that you have the flat surface of the disc facing the flywheel (where the springs are located)

Ahh yes.. Forgive the stupid question. I just had to overcome the spring pressure to bring the plate to the flywheel.. haha! oops..

Never done this before just making sure, LOL. Thanks for the replies.

Cheers.

There's never anything wrong with asking questions.... 'specially when it comes to a new clutch and flywheel!

Glad you got it resolved!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back