The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Gallant 99 Idle Issue when AC is on

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkymnzns

Probationary Member
Aug 15, 2016
Los Angeles, California
Hi! I'm fairly new to joining this forum but I've read a lot of discussions already for my idling problem but still haven't been able to figure it out..

My Gallant 99 has been idling roughly since I got it 2 years ago. Actually, when I got this car it was quite a fixer-up state and I have worked on the problems since here's the run down of things I've changed and the problems why I changed them. All changes done in about 2 months prior to today.

AC was not cooling as what it was supposed to but is now solved
  • changed to new compressor
  • change dryer filter
  • change expansion valve
  • change timing belts
Hard starting after driving for a while
  • change starter carbons
  • change solenoid
  • fixed wirings on the battery (turns out this was the problem wiring was not properly set in so the battery wasn't charging properly causing it to discharge every drive)
Always running out of coolant
  • Change radiator
  • Change bypass tube and water inlet (turns out they were rusted and the pipes had holes)
Always running out of steering wheel fluid
  • change sensor (there was a crack)
  • replaced the silicon and O-ring (turns out there was a leak due to the O-ring being cooked already)
Rough Idling when AC is on, goes down to 700rpm intermittently
  • Cleaned throttle body
  • Change Idle Control Valve (ICV)
  • ?
The remaining problem now is the rough idling. I noticed that when the fan kicks in (guessing the compressor too) my idling goes down to 700rpm which makes the engine shake and it's quite uncomfortable.
I'm suspecting this to be my alternator since sometimes when I start the engine there's a small squeak even though I already changed the belts. The squeak immediately stops once all the bearing have ran. I ran a check for the battery and charging and it's rated at 13.5 when engine is running and 12v when off. Would the alternator be the possible cause?

I was hoping someone could give me points to look at or if what I am suspecting might be the actually cause.

Someone didn't change the 4 wire alt for a 2 wire one did they?
(I'm assuming the 99 Gallant has the 4 wire alt like the Eclipse does). The 4 wire alt adjusts engine idle speed based on current draw (eg. AC, lights).

Someone didn't change the 4 wire alt for a 2 wire one did they?
(I'm assuming the 99 Gallant has the 4 wire alt like the Eclipse does). The 4 wire alt adjusts engine idle speed based on current draw (eg. AC, lights).

I actually don't have a clue.. I'll check this out.
But i tried removing the fans and started the engine w/ ac on and the problem still persist so I'm ruling out load issue with the fans.. i noticed that when the compressor kicks in the engine is having a hard time with the load.. could you specify items i should check on too?

Hi luv2rallye,

I did some extensive searching and found out my gallant has a timing belt rather than a timing chain. (I'm smacking my head on a wall right now) I was under the assumption that I had a chain all along. The engine doesn't sound that optimal after I heard how the stock engine for my car should sound. I'm having this check by the weekend and for now I'll avoid using the car. I guess the old owner wasn't keen on keeping things maintained.

In any case I would like to ask if this could possibly affect the ability of the engine to take on the load of the compressor?

Hope someone can give me their 2 cents on this issue... Been going at repairs for a month or so now and this is the last piece of the puzzle..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back