The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Update Your Password Today!

We have implemented tools to identify member accounts using insecure passwords and will be locking those accounts until their passwords are updated. Don't get locked out of your account - update your password today, and ensure your account has a valid email address on file. Read more here...
Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Galant VR-4 Restoration #129/1458

techboy

Proven Member
Feb 3, 2018
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
Another quick motor update. There's some good and bad news ...

We ran a hone through cylinder #1 today just to see what that score would look like after.
DkvwNA.jpg

As you can see in this picture, its still there and your finger nail definitely catches it. So, once I laid eyes on this last week I figured we were gonna need an overbore, now it's just a matter of the machine shop figuring out what size.
WGlwFd.jpg

So the good news is I think the block is still usable, the bad news is it's gonna cost us some cash for some different pistons which is an expense I was not counting on.

My favorite picture of the day is my father-in law teaching my son how to read a micrometer while taking measurements on the crank. We just wanted to make sure it was within spec. Journals should be 2.24 and rods should be 1.77. Everything was spot on, and surfaces look great, so the crank is good. :thumb:
uhJYfj.jpg

I want to remove the freeze plugs before we drop at the machine shop, so we'll do that next and I hope to drop the block by end of this week.

techboy

Proven Member
Feb 3, 2018
Did another quick thing today to get this block one step closer to drop off at the machine shop. Knocked out the freeze plugs.

6CKibb.jpg

If you never done this before, it's really not that hard. Just grab a punch and tap on either the far right or left. NOT the center. You essentially want to "spin" the plug so you can pull it out with pliers. You don't want to knock it into the block.
jCRrSg.jpg

7VDw9I.jpg

9PVHWF.jpg

Bought some brass plugs to go back in on the flip side.
g9Mq0f.jpg

techboy

Proven Member
Feb 3, 2018
Picked up the 2nd round of powder - just a few pulleys. Gloss black this time.

Uw3NmI.jpg

Also got the block back from the machine shop. Hard to believe its the same block. Time to start assembling this thing.
IVdaPN.jpg

Fresh deck.
G2XNY4.jpg

drAbwW.jpg

Picked up some brushes today, next thing we'll do is get the block painted a fresh coat of gloss black.

techboy

Proven Member
Feb 3, 2018
Well we've had the block back from the machine shop about a month now so we took some time over the winter break here to get it mounted on a stand and started painting it.

NBv8s6.jpg

Here it is on the stand.
4cD3gH.jpg

Started taping it up.
NY8BIc.jpg

FzZiaE.jpg

Time for some primer.
7VwpMf.jpg

HF57HK.jpg

And now for some real paint.
aWywUs.jpg

0uxrpe.jpg

Much better.

Rings have arrived already. ACL, King, and Clevite mains are all on backorder with no ETA at this time, so we wait to begin the assembly process.

techboy

Proven Member
Feb 3, 2018
I have 2 1G oil pans, both of them have a slightly crushed bottom near the sump. So I came up with a method to gently bang them back out. Worked pretty good.
c7BK3G.jpg

I screwed it to some scrap 2x8's I had.
Cbkno4.jpg

Then I used a combination of some long bolts and a block of wood to bang it back out.
I0eMPc.jpg

Came out pretty decent. I'm happy.
TVVCeD.jpg

Dropped it off to be sand blasted and epoxy coated. Can't wait to get it back.

Last edited:

punk3rz

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2012
Surgoinsville, Tennessee
I have 2 1G oil pans, both of them have a slightly crushed bottom near the sump. So I came up with a method to gently bang them back out. Worked pretty good.
View attachment 684227
I screwed it to some scrap 2x8's I had.
View attachment 684228
Then I used a combination of some long bolts and a block of wood to bang it back out.
View attachment 684229
Came out pretty decent. I'm happy.
View attachment 684230
Dropped it off to be sand blasted and epoxy coated. Can't wait to get it back.
I would’ve bought an aftermarket pan for $65. Probably would’ve been a lot cheaper but can’t wait to see the results! Check out NexxRacing on Facebook for a guy that makes a new style gasket that doesn’t leak- see attached. Glad to see the car coming along!

B889E34E-0BFA-40F9-899E-77AA4702E176.jpeg

techboy

Proven Member
Feb 3, 2018
Thanks for the great info on that gasket. I will definitely pick those up. Does he make 2G ones as well.

Also ... I'm very curious where can you find an aftermarket pan for $65 bucks. I'm usually only scoping out OEM parts on Extreme, STM, or JNZ ... and pans are way more than that if available.

punk3rz

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2012
Surgoinsville, Tennessee
Thanks for the great info on that gasket. I will definitely pick those up. Does he make 2G ones as well.

Also ... I'm very curious where can you find an aftermarket pan for $65 bucks. I'm usually only scoping out OEM parts on Extreme, STM, or JNZ ... and pans are way more than that if available.
RockAuto has them in stock right now

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds