The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

GVR-4 Galant ECU burnt up, questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoiBoi

Probationary Member
Apr 19, 2021
Pasadena, Maryland
Hello all, the ecu in my Non-Turbo, manual, awd Galant GSX went out recently. It looks like what i think is an ISC driver chip went up (attached picture). I will be contacting ECMtuning to get this sent in and repaired, however I have some questions about it that im not finding solid answers for on the forums after searching (if i missed anything call me dumb and send me a link). Apologies if this is the wrong forum category.

What burnt was the second driver chip from the right, that is for the ISC correct?

I tested the ISC, i believe the shop it was at used an aftermarket one from Napa. It tested good, 39ohm, if a little high on all coils. Is there anything else on that circuit in the car that could cause this? What else should I test? (black top, replaced a brown top a little over a year ago that had gone bad. Car ran and idled fine after this)

I have a spare Non-Turbo Manual ECU that I'd like to use, however it has a knock circuit. My GSX does not have a knock sensor, and not having one connected, if im correct, will throw a code and perma-retard my timing. Is there anyway to 'delete' or ground out the knock circuit in order to not have that? Wasnt able to find a straight answer for this on the forums. I am not worried about not having a knock sensor, car is driven gently and non-turbo.

Thanks for your time

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

MD166250 E2T37374 91 MT Galant GSX AWD (E38A)

IC107 drives ISC coils A1 and A2 (ECU pins 58 and 59). They only smoke like that because they were somehow shorted. My friends at ECMTuning can fix it up and change those caps so they don't damage the ECU in the future.

I'm not aware of any USDM 1G NT's with knock sensors, what the part numbers off it.

MD166250 E2T37374 91 MT Galant GSX AWD (E38A)

IC107 drives ISC coils A1 and A2 (ECU pins 58 and 59). They only smoke like that because they were somehow shorted. My friends at ECMTuning can fix it up and change those caps so they don't damage the ECU in the future.

I'm not aware of any USDM 1G NT's with knock sensors, what the part numbers off it.
The other ecu is out of a Galant GS. Came in my other/project car. Said car was turbo engine swapped by a previous owner, still running off the N/T ecu with a MAF translator. I finally got my hands on a proper turbo ecu and swapped, hence why it is free now. I dont have the part number off the case on hand at the moment, as that currently houses the turbo board on the car right now. Number on the connector is "7380M". To my knowledge only some of the N/T galants had knock boards on a N/T USDM 4G63 cars.

Seeing as the current coil tested fine without any shorts i'll take the volt meter to the loom and verify thats fine. Clearing that, think this may have been leftover from the old ISC that died and not the cause of my current issue that lead me to crack open the ecu in the first place.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back