The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Galant Alternator + P1500

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swimminmarine

Probationary Member
Feb 20, 2003
San Diego, California
i just recently replaced my alternator with a 97 galant alternator it dropped right in fit perfectly and no issues for the first week. now i'm getting p1500 Generator FR Terminal Circuit Malfunction.

would it be related to the galant alternator? suggestions for troubleshooting? i read through a number of posts and they usually went something like this "i have a saturn alternator so i thumb up my ass am posting zero helpful information here"

thanks in advance.

Do you have ECMLink by chance? If so, you can upload this file directly to ECMLink.

To use one of the files below, simply download the file into the following directory:

Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\ecmlink\resources\records

Windows Vista/Windows 7:
C:\Users\<username>\ecmlink\resources\records

Linux/Mac:
$HOME/ecmlink/resources/records

The directory should already exist, so if it doesn't, you may be looking in the wrong place.

Once you have one of the files installed, bring up or restart the ECMLink application. When you connect to your ECU, you'll have a new direct access entry that corresponds to the file you placed into that "records" directory above.

"Ignores P1500 Generator (alternator) FR terminal Circuit malfunction. This DTC is commonly caused by a Saturn/GM alternator swap. (2G only) "
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have ECM link. If its a problem of the Saturn/gm alternator swap why would I be seeing it with the Galant alternator? And what is the Generator FR terminal circuit?

It's a "relay" that is actually a diode in a relay housing located by the passenger head light down by the fender well in the bay. I believe it's a current regulator for the dash light or something along those lines.

Can someone please post a pic of this relay in the headlight area? I'm also having this code and changed computers and alternators.

There are a lot of cut wires in my car in that area and I'm wondering if this has anything to do with this code I'm getting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone confirm that the fix in post #2 works or can show the “relay” in post #4?

Installed a WAI Galant 90A alternator and now have a P1500 fault that I didn’t have before. Voltage is fine but dummy lights are on and car is running funky. Swapped the alternator fuse with another to rule that out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back