The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Galant 4g63 SOHC 16 valve ECU

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC88

Probationary Member
Mar 18, 2017
San Jose Pinula, Michigan
Hey Everyone. So I have a huge problem. I have gone to 6 or 7 mecanics here in Guatemala and they all have told me that my ECU is gone. So I say ok, lets buy a new one. The only place where I have seen a ECU its a the dealership and they want $1000.
For this price I can buy an APEXI mod ECU. I need your help in knowing if I can replace this ECU with a more common one or where I can buy a used one.

My ECU is MD339838. My Galant has been in different shops for the past 3 months and the last thing I wanna do is sell it for scrap metal. Can someone help?

Thanks!

Maybe I can help from the UK, we have galants and I'm sure someoone around on eBay will have an ECU that's useable for you,

How do you know exactly your ECU has gone?

What is the problem with the car?

The car starts and 5 seconds later the check engine light comes on and the car shuts off. I have changed the crank shaft sensor and many other things. It will start again, and again 5 seconds later it shuts off.

Maybe I can help from the UK, we have Galants and I'm sure someone around on eBay will have an ECU that's useable for you,

How do you know exactly your ECU has gone?

They have followed every single electrical line and say the the computer does not provide the correct readings. The ECU is MD339838. If you do find one I would appreciate it so I can get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's starts and runs from 5 seconds it sounds like a sensor more then the ECU to me, have you checked water temp sensors for the ECU, have you checked all the fuel system, coils or plugs and charging system as this can cause it to shut off aswell, as a precaution check all vacuum lines Incase of a leak that's causing it to stall all the time,

Have you tried salvage yards? We sell ECUs at my work all the time, generally about 50-75 bucks with a 30 day replacement warranty. There's gotta be someone near you.

They have followed every single electrical line and say the the computer does not provide the correct readings. The ECU is MD339838. If you do find one I would appreciate it so I can get it.
Have you got the other codes on the ECU, or take a picture for me, they come with different codes but are on 2.0 16v engines still so I may need to use the other codes here for a match

If it's starts and runs from 5 seconds it sounds like a sensor more then the ECU to me, have you checked water temp sensors for the ECU, have you checked all the fuel system, coils or plugs and charging system as this can cause it to shut off aswell, as a precaution check all vacuum lines Incase of a leak that's causing it to stall all the time,

I will be checking the temp sensor for the ECU.
Now, for the rest, fuel systems, coils, plugs and charging system has been checked.

Have you got the other codes on the ECU, or take a picture for me, they come with different codes but are on 2.0 16v engines still so I may need to use the other codes here for a match

Let me take a picture and I will post it, I will be posting a video tomorrow so you guys can see what is going on.

What code is the check engine light coming on for?

Ive tried verifying with a scanner but no scanner is allowing me to verify that.

Have you tried salvage yards? We sell ECUs at my work all the time, generally about 50-75 bucks with a 30 day replacement warranty. There's gotta be someone near you.

I have tried all type of salvage yards, the only have for the 2.4 or 2.5 v6. They others for Eclipse, Lancer etc but I don't know if they will work for my car.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no 16 valve 4g63 in sohc form. The sohc 4g63's are all 8 valves. If you got a sohc 4g63 then i believe your galant is 93 or older meaning its obdI which most modern scanners wont work on let alone plug into. You'll need an analog multimeter or a test light to check the codes for the cel. Also im almost positive sohc 4g63's don't have a crank sensor.... You sure you have a 4g63? and a not a 4g64?

Last edited:
There is no 16 valve 4g63 in sohc form. The sohc 4g63's are all 8 valves. If you got a sohc 4g63 then i believe your galant is 93 or older meaning its obdI which most modern scanners wont work on let alone plug into. You'll need an analog multimeter or a test light to check the codes for the cel. Also im almost positive sohc 4g63's don't have a crank sensor.... You sure you have a 4g63? and a not a 4g64?
Hard to believe I know, but Im looking right at it, it is a 4g63 BA single cam 2.0. The year of the car is 2000

Jc88 what year is your Galant?
according to my sources the ecu you need comes from a 8th gen Galant, and they only had a 2.4 4 cylinder engine, or a v6, so you likely can use a 2.4 ecu.
they are vary common at my local parts yards.
Maybe in the US, but Europe got a 2.0 aswell in a 4g63 and 4g94

Sorry I thought the ops location was in the USA, now it makes perfect sense, world markets have all sorts of variations on motor options, but I suppose a European member would be able help you out, because again all we ever got in the USA I mentioned, you might have better luck on the Galant forums.

Sorry I thought the ops location was in the USA, now it makes perfect sense, world markets have all sorts of variations on motor options, but I suppose a European member would be able help you out, because again all we ever got in the USA I mentioned, you might have better luck on the Galant forums.
He is in the US LOL, he may have an import or infact a true US car with a 2.0, only he can confirm though

He is in the US LOL, he may have an import or infact a true US car with a 2.0, only he can confirm though
Really:hmm:, maybe somewhere in Guatemala, I've honestly never heard of a San Jose Pinula, Michigan... where is it located?

Oh well assuming its in the states, it could also be a swapped import motor, to verify you can write down the vin number stamped on the block, if it matches the frame vin then you will know the engine is original, also try running the cars vin on a decoder online and see if it lists a 2.0 or 2.4 motor.

Really:hmm:, maybe somewhere in Guatemala, I've honestly never heard of a San Jose Pinula, Michigan... where is it located?

Oh well assuming its in the states, it could also be a swapped import motor, to verify you can write down the vin number stamped on the block, if it matches the frame vin then you will know the engine is original, also try running the cars vin on a decoder online and see if it lists a 2.0 or 2.4 motor.
I just went by the state LOL im not sure on names or towns in the state

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back