The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

G4CS vs 4G63 timing cover Q

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jankenshank

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 23, 2008
Nashville, Tennessee
quick question.... with a 2.4 (G4CS or 4G64) with a 63 head which timing cover do you use. the 2.4 or the 2.0?

i am using the 63 timing cover and with base timing set to the 5* mark on the cover it runs like shit, and my CAS is almost all the way advanced.

did i use the wrong cover?

Just make sure that your mechanical timing is spot on and just use link to set ignition timing.

yeah, mechanical timing is dead on, Adjustable cam gears and Degree'd cams.

i ground the timing in link to 5* and then have to advance the CAS almost all the way to get the crank pulley to be at 5* on the timing cover.. using the 6bolt 4G63 timing cover.

just to confirm the correct cover to use is the 4g63 one.

What cover and what balancer is installed?

I could understand an alignment issue if you have the G4CS cover and the 4G63 balancer.

stock 4gcs (100mm) crank with a 63 fluidampr balancer, with the stock 63 timing cover.

all mechanical timing marks align, and runs great when the CAS is centered between retard and advance, (ungrounded in link)

i ground link and the timing mark on the crank is, if i had to estimate at about 30* ATDC, so i advance the cas to align the crank mark with the cover, then it runs terribly.

since i'm assuming i have all the right parts, that my issue is in my tune so im going to wipe it and start over.

Compare the fluidamper to your stocker for correct mark placement?

I seem to recall fluidampers mark being off.

i had to replace my water pump so while i was down there i aligned all the timing marks and placed the engine at TDC #1 mounted the 63 cover and then the fluidampr, and it pointed right on TDC mark on the cover.

so mechanically its right.

and after adjustment to 5* the CAS looks like this.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

almost all the way advanced.

guess it has to be right.

i had to replace my water pump so while i was down there i aligned all the timing marks and placed the engine at TDC #1 mounted the 63 cover and then the fluidampr, and it pointed right on TDC mark on the cover.

so mechanically its right.

and after adjustment to 5* the CAS looks like this.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

almost all the way advanced.

guess it has to be right.

I have the same issue!! Mechanically timed correctly and CAS installed at TDC and not 180* off. Spoke to a reputable engine builder and he says "It's adjustable for a reason" I am going by it has to be right as well. I have Fp2 cams and a Fluidampr pulley as well with stock cam gears.

Could it be possible the Fluidampr marks are in fact off? I don't have my stock Dampener to check. Could someone verify this? I don't want to start tuning with timing not set correctly.

EDIT: NM, the marks can't be wrong or my TDC mechanical timing would be off and it isn't.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back