The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

G4CS Destroker Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psyclone

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2012
Waco, Texas
So, If all goes according to plan, I should have a 97GSX within the month. I am planning on building a G4CS 2.3 destroker for it. For those that do not know, the G4CS is the 6 bolt version of the 4G64.

Intent of build - I am going to use this as a daily driver for now and will probably road course it from time to time.

HP/Torque goals - 450 HP on low boost, 600HP with boost turned up for track. I would like to find the peak torque at around 7000-8000RPM

This is just a plan at this stage, I have no parts for this yet. That being said, If y'all could throw your 2cents in I would appreciate it.

Main Questions:
- 1G or 2G head? (Had planned on a 1G head) would like to have it done by FFWD or Bucher. Are there any other good companies that can build a head?
- aftermarket crank... Bucher, crower, FFWD?
- Pistons... not even sure which brand is good for them. I have heard good things about Wiseco, Crower and Manley (target is 9.0:1 compression)
-Rods, I know there is a lot that goes into this selection, rod angle, length... so on. It's my understanding that the longer the rod the better the Rod angle ratio.
- Head gasket, Cometic
- and last but not least Cams, all I know is that the regrinds generally don't last as long as people would like.

So, that's the basic start for my build. I will look at turbos later, but I think I will probably go with a BW 7670EFR twin scroll. Any and all advice is appreciated.

6 bolt head IMO, more flow with larger ports.
Yes, aftermarket crank. I run Eagle, not sure what reviews are on other cranks.
Weisco 1400HD's are great, I also use Ross racing pistons.
not sure on rods
Cometic MLS=awesome gasket, check out copper head gaskets, thats what i run also. Also use MAP H11 head studs, strongest head studs out there.
FP4's are rare, but are built for strokers/larger displacement. super awesome cams.
Hope this helps.

I think you mean 2.2 or a 2.1 destroker. The 2.3 stroker should have a 2.0l block with the 2.4l crank.

My thoughts exactly.

If you were lucky enough to find a G4CS I would just do a 2.4 build.

You can do a custom 2.2 or 2.1 but the rotating assemblies for them are not cost effective for the mass, I mean it might be up your ally.

I think you mean 2.2 or a 2.1 destroker. The 2.3 stroker should have a 2.0l block with the 2.4l crank.

do they not make a crank to destroke a 2.4 to a 2.3? The only reason I wanted to destroke it was to not loose as much RPM top range. I had read that the 2.4s can only red line around 7-8K as opposed to 9.5+k. I guess a better question would be: can a 2.4 be built with a light enough rotating assembly to hit 9K? :idontknow:

EDIT: also, will stock rocker arms support 9K rpm

What does, it mean to blueprint an engine?

Last edited:
do they not make a crank to destroke a 2.4 to a 2.3? The only reason I wanted to destroke it was to not loose as much RPM top range. I had read that the 2.4s can only red line around 7-8K as opposed to 9.5+k. I guess a better question would be: can a 2.4 be built with a light enough rotating assembly to hit 9K? :idontknow:

EDIT: also, will stock rocker arms support 9K rpm

What does, it mean to blueprint an engine?

so you also live in waco?? if you want local help as i live there pm your number and ill be glad to help you out man

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back