The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Fwd wheel bearing issue with ARP extended wheel studs, possibly AWD bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So not long ago i made the switch from wheel spacers and in doing so i got my extended studs from the spacers and put them in the new wheel bearings, shortly after i noticed a weird noise every now and then, more so when i was cornering, i looked everything over and found nothing when i took it all apart, it did it again and again,

then a week later took it all apart and then found the spring was fouling the head of the ARP wheel stud slightly BUT only when the shoe slipped over pushing the spring out a bit further, not alot but its enough to be annoying, the ARP heads are a fraction thicker then the oem head on the studs, so this dont help also,

There could be a few ways to fix this and machining the head down a bit could be one but unknown issues or weakness could be bad,

So my fix was to make a shim spacer to sit behind the actual wheel bearing. This makes another problem of the rotor now being pushed out so i also bought some washers of the same thickness to compensate and push the caliper out also the same amount.

Now i have driven on this its now noise free when cornering! So it worked!

It might not happen to everyone or even AWD but i have not seen this issue arrise so thought i would log it incase,

Just the reference, the springs are oem, the hub bearing is not oem but specs indicate all measurements to be the same as oem as i also checked that out to rule this as the cause out.

Video of the issue and pre fix is here,
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Video of the fix is here,

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back