The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

FWD vs AWD flywheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ice03

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 7, 2003
IowaUS
If you have read my other post, i can't get my awd working because of tranny issues. now i'm wonderin if i just need a new flywheel.
Does anyone know if the fwd and awd flywheel's are the same size or is one bigger than the other:confused:

So all I have to do is buy a 6 bolt awd flywheel for my frontwheel drive motor and the tranny i took off the 7 bolt should fit?
thanx

Is the flywheel the reason the tranny wouldnt go on? When I did my tranny swap it took alot of pushing, pulling, twisting, you name it. I know 2nd geners use 6 bolts and I never hear of them swapping their trannys with it. But to use the 6 bolt with an awd tranny you will definately need a 6 bolt AWD flywheel.

Joe

cool. which one is bigger though, is the awd fly wheel smaller than the fwd one? if so would you guys recommend finding a stock one or spendin more money and go for an aluminum or lightened one?

So i take it that the awd flywheel is bigger than the fwd one? the only reason the tranny didn't fit over the 6bolt was because of clearence issues, so i'm guessin that the fwd flywheel has to be bigger but correct me if i'm wrong.
thanx

The FWD flywheel is bigger than the AWD flywheel. The bell housing on the AWD and FWD trannies are different. If you put an FWD flywheel in an AWD car with an AWD tranny you will not get the tranny to fit. You will need to stay with the same size flywheel that coinsides with the car you have. I know that you can't put an AWD flywheel on an FWD becasue the starter will not reach the AWD flywheel teeth since its smaller and the bell housing is set on both trannies for the starter to work with a certain flywheel. I hope that answers your question.

Thanks for the reply but since i dropped my 6 bolt off my gst into the gsx is there anyway i could adjust it so that i could get it to work, or what would you recommend i should do?

Originally posted by Cablefed
The FWD flywheel is bigger than the AWD flywheel. The bell housing on the AWD and FWD trannies are different. If you put an FWD flywheel in an AWD car with an AWD tranny you will not get the tranny to fit.

this is your answer

tranny has to match the flywheel....... AWD tranny = AWD flywheel

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back