The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

FWD versus AWD [Merged 2-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrippleStar

Probationary Member
Sep 4, 2002
chicago_the_ILest
Hello, kids. Here is the Official AWD or FWD? thread. All the hare-brained arguments about "rolling starts" and "top speed" and "deadly transfer cases" and "drivetrain losses" and the rest of the mis-guided "better" advice is right here.

It's recommended you just skip reading it. You already know which you want, and why. Still, it's a place to dump it all.

Let's start with this fine opener from 2002 (it really doesn't get much better):

newbie to DSMs here, whats AWD and FWD. just sold my civic hatchback and got my eclipse not to long ago and im still learing the dsm101 stuff.

If I had 5k to spend I would search for a cheap 1g and spend the rest of my cash fixing/modding it. I picked mine up for $200 with a blow transmission. If your lucky you can dig one up for dirt cheap and fix it. It might not be as pretty as a 2g but you'll have more cash to make it faster.

big power plans>awd to put the power down and take advantage of it from a launch

bolt ons and general fun> 2g got the looks and fwd will be nice for the street and a little more.

just my opinion though, everyones different

I agree with Zilo. Keep in mind, although both cars will need fixing up, the 1g will require more. However, if you're serious about it, go AWD.

i say go with the 1g AWD i have one and i love it. i drove a friends 2g GST and i would still pick my car over it. as for the looks of the two i personally like the 1g better.

well the looks is all opinion and if you were going to add to the looks of the car (body kits, etc. ) you could make either one look better. The 2nd G has a better aftermarket support for their cars, and are newer but doesnt mean they have less to fix than a 1g. A 1g is a little lighter and in my opinion is a faster stock starting car when it comes to mods. When you work out the kinks in a 2nd gen ( bigger turbo, etc. ) then theyll be really fast too but for starting out stock you have more power to work with on a 1g 14b (stock turbo). Also the 1g engine to me is better minus the airflow sensor, exhaust manifold, and pistons. The 2nd g just has higher compression pistons which are better unless your trying to do serious boost, like 25 lbs and up, but 1g has better head flow design. Also with a 1g 92 and older you get the famous 6bolt engine which is a definite reason in getting a 1g unless your willing to pay the money to convert a 2g into a 6bolt.
Personally I like the looks of the 2g better, but my 1g looks mean as hell and undoubtly looks like a fast car, and
the 2g is more common were I live so I dont want to drive a car everyone has and my 1g is more uncommon nowdays.
But With either choice of generation though, Definitly get awd if your serious, and If i were you, and if it were possible id get a 1g awd as your racer, and keep your 2g as your panty dropper LOL to make it look good but have no speed...

Thanks for the help guys. It was all very helpful. And nightspeed87 I think i am going to go with what you said. It might be a good idea just to keep my 2g and buy a 1g to race.
Thanks again.

I need some convincing to buy a awd over a fwd. I've been looking for a 2g. Still a little worried about crankwalk but am trying to learn how to tell if the car has problem.

I want a fwd becuase i feel they are cheaper to maintain / fix if it breaks. Lighter, better gas mileage, etc.

Sounds like the awd cars have a lot of problems with the transfer cases. Can an awd drive easily be converted to fwd in a pinch?

also have been searching for info on model year differences with little luck.

I've looked at a number of these cars so far noteably:

a 97 gst with 107k miles - $7400 - nice body but looks like a bit of corrosion. could be that its live by the sea here in san fran... carfax is clear

97 gst spyer - 75k miles - no carfax yet. The top probably will need replaced but is driveable. clutch was slipping in 5th gear if i try to make it slip. asking 7400 but willing to deal.

I wish they made these cars rwd stock then i woulda bought one a long time ago.

Im in the SF bay area if anyone knows of any good deals.

Theres also a guy selling a 97 gsx with a salvage title and 95k miles for $3800.

I've owned other turbo cars before specifically a mistu starion that i converted to mpi.

id like to spend 5K but could probably go up to 10K. I think my dream car would be a black 98 or 99 gst or gsx. im open to a spyder but already have one convertable... a miata... which i must say is pretty close performance wise to some of these that ive test drove :)

Any comments or suggestions are appriciate. if you want to tell me to search go ahead but i am working on that already too.

good point i havnt test drove a awd yet.

im just thinking their a pain to repair if the drive train bust. where a fwd is super simple.

Im just gonna say this: I have a 98 GST, my friend has a 99 GSX.....pretty much the same mods as me and it feels like a totally different car! ever since then, I've been searching left and right for a GSX

Buy a FWD car and you will regret it!!!

I currently own a FWD 90 GST and a AWD 89/90 GSX. I've had the GST for almost four year. And the GSX almost four months.

I put every spare second I had into my FWD, replaced every thing I could get my hands on. Rebuilt the engine, 2G this, 2g THAT. Even did the 2G pistons on 1G rods. I loved my traction impaired hot rod. But, something was wrong. It just didn't seem... I don't know. It ate at me. There was always that voice in my head that said; THIS CAR WOULD BE SO BAD, IF IT WAS AWD... I could never be happy knowing I had only half an Eclipse. Because, lets face it; THATS ALL YOU'LL HAVE!

I live in Seattle, it rains here. AWD is a no brainier!

snow = awd
rain= awd
power = awd
cornering = awd

Its endless, DSM's are not known for the FWD's... come on!

I ripped apart a perfect FWD to put everything nice into a AWD shell. You know whats going to happen to that FWD husk. That right; the junk yard. I don't even care to try and sell the left overs. Its a waist of time.

Save your self the sleep less night... OK, so maybe not sleepless but you get what I'm saying. AWD, baby... yeah!

I had a 91 FWD turbo. Then in 97 bought a GSX. Biggest difference is acceleration
in the lower gears, the GSX just plants all the power to the ground and you just catapult
forward, not so with the FWD.

Biggest drawback I've encountered on the AWD is I keep breaking transmissions on the street due to the quick hitting torque and no tire slip. Other thing is having to replace ALL
4 tires when one gets screwed up, this is the 2nd biggest pain in the ass. I still prefer AWD though.

Lets just say this, I bought a 95 gst about 2-3 weeks ago for 1k hasn't ran since I bought it, I plan on fixing it selling it and going out and buy a gsx or tsi awd. only reason to buy a gst is if your plans are to turn a spyder awd or if you wrecked your gsx and the suspension and rear end and things are still okay and the only replacement you can find is a gst and make that a gsx down the road.

Traction! I've owned 3 AWD's and 3 FWD's... FWD's seem to show to be capable of higher speeds... But the AWD's, ofcource are All Wheel Drive! Look at SRT4's... very fast cars... when they have traction! The GST I almost bought... I was driving it normal, and pounded on the gas and the tires actually ripped off the ground... not good for racing if your tires are spinning.

Also, AWD is safer! FWD cars are good for snow.. AWD is better! How can it be a problem to choose? The only problem is finding an AWD cheaper or as cheap as a FWD. If you find a good deal on a AWD, Snag it! I'm just sittin around awaiting that perfect AWD deal to come along!

You haven't stated your intentions for this DSM you seek, but since this is a "tuner" site, I'll assume you're interested in performance. FWD is cool ... for a minivan (you get a more spacious cabin), but is not for performance.
Timeslips verify that the AWD's will out accelerate the FWD's in a straight line, but that's not even half the story. You're not likely to encounter much snow in the Bay Area, but there are some windy roads, yes? If you exceed the limits of lateral adhesion with just FWD, most likely you will spin from oversteer (SCARY!!) and just have to hope that you don't hit anything (like the power pole that I encountered). With AWD you can correct from this condition even better than you can with RWD (pulling AND pushing instead of just pushing).
If you just want to Sunday drive, the FWD is probably fine, though I'm a bit surprised you haven't found one capable of outperforming your Miata (I thought they were notoriously gutless). WTF
As far as converting in a pinch, I don't own anything that isn't AWD or 4X4 anymore (not since we traded in the minivan:D ) and I know my Bronco can be easily converted from 4X4 to FWD by removing/disconnecting the rear driveshaft and locking the front hubs (been there). The "transfer case" on an AWD DSM is really just an elbow for the drivetrain (the AWD part is in the transaxle) and disconnecting the rear driveshaft just immobilizes the car (at least that's MY understanding, haven't actually tried it). You have to change trannies to switch to FWD.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back