The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G fwd transmissions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradyc

10+ Year Contributor
May 14, 2011
meridian, Idaho
Hey guys, I'm getting tired of blowing up the non turbo fwd transmissions my my turbo swapped gs, my question for those of you that know if you can bolt a turbo fwd tranny on and still use my non turbo 6 puck and flywheel.

Did you search at all?

One is a Mitsubishi transmission made to fit a Mitsubishi engine. One is a Chrysler transmission made to fit a Chrysler engine.

Might as well try a Honda or Ford transmission. ......

I did search and found nothing, my car does have a Mitsubishi 4g63its just a non Turbo 4g63with a turbo. I'm talking a 94 eclipse here.

Did you search at all?

One is a Mitsubishi transmission made to fit a Mitsubishi engine. One is a Chrysler transmission made to fit a Chrysler engine.

Might as well try a Honda or Ford transmission. ......

WOW, Did YOU search at all? The N/T 1G is still a 4g63 unless he had a 1.8 N/T. Get over yourself and if you dont know the facts dont go talking down to another member who is asking a legitimate question.

Looks like you need a turbo clutch and flywheel.

This.

And while we're at it, make sure you get the FWD turbo flywheel and starter plate. Depending on the year of turbo transmission, you may also need axles, too.

The non turbo flywheel is a non stepped flywheel. The turbo fwd is stepped just like the awd one but the turbo fwd flywheel is a bit bigger in diameter. So you will need the clutch and new flywheel assembly. But a bonus the turbo fwd trans has the best ratios.

Okay well I'm getting that transmission on, the nonturbo clutch and flywheel worked with the turbo transmission, splines match etc, the only difference I see is that thin plate behind the tranny isa bit off where the starter mounts up so I can't get the starter on because of the plate. Thinking on grinding it out a bit to fit the starter on. Not sure anyone ever do this!??

Okay well I'm getting that transmission on, the nonturbo clutch and flywheel worked with the turbo transmission, splines match etc...

Working is not the same as fitting.

The non-turbo flywheel is smaller in diameter than the FWD turbo flywheel, meaning it will be easier to fit in the turbo transmission. However, it will not work, mainly because of the other issue you are running into with the position of the starter -- even if you were to grind out the starter plate to make it fit. The turbo transmission's bell housing places the starter further away from the flywheel center to account for the difference in diameter. In a nutshell, the starter moves too far away from the flywheel to consistently engage the flywheel teeth (if at all) when starting the car; if it does tend to start some, it will wear the tips of the flywheel teeth more, making them more prone to break off as well.

Again, I'll suggest getting the correct flywheel, clutch setup, and starter plate.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back