The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved FWD transmission on AWD setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyekantdrive

Probationary Member
Sep 24, 2021
Wichita, Kansas
How much power can I put to a fwd transmission with my awd system? I’ve been looking for the answer all day and I’ve been told it’ll be okay but I don’t want to blow the tranny instantly want to have some fun or would it be best to just build that 6-bolt transmission?

I have no clue what you're asking. You cant use a FWD transmission and still be AWD. A FWD trans can handle a reasonable amount of power, but you wont be AWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
:idontknow: That would just be a FWD DSM, maybe with a rear diff that isn't hooked up to the driveline. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of info about that FWD trans out there with a little google-fu. The engine is no different FWD vs AWD as long as you're talking 4g63t, but the engine is different automatic vs manual trans (13g vs. 14b turbo).
Also, it's a 6 bolt block (1990 - 1992.5).

I have no clue what you're asking. You cant use a fwd transmission and still be AWD. A Fwd trans can handle a reasonable amount of power, but you wont be awd.
I have a turbo car and awd setup on my talon. But was going to buy a non turbo motor transmission. Was asking if it work on my set up or still on make awd work. If not then how do I know I’m buying a awd transmission?

I have a turbo car and awd setup on my talon. But was going to buy a non turbo motor transmission. Was asking if it work on my set up or still on make awd work. If not then how do I know I’m buying a awd transmission?
You need to buy a turbo motor and an AWD transmission. They are NOT all the same. You need a 1g motor. Transmissions are interchangeable but there are some differences between shifters, cables, etc.
You can buy an NT motor and build it for a turbo car. A nonturbo motor as it sits is not the same as a turbo motor, Lots of differences internally.

Before I have an aneurysm are you buying an ENGINE or a TRANSMISSION? Because I'm still not sure. Like mentioned if youre buying an n/a car for the drivetrain the turbo ENGINE is different, but an n/a engine can be used. If youre buying a TRANSMISSION the n/a cars are all FWD. You need an AWD car to use the transmission.

Before I have an aneurysm are you buying an ENGINE or a TRANSMISSION? Because I'm still not sure. Like mentioned if youre buying an n/a car for the drivetrain the turbo ENGINE is different, but an n/a engine can be used. If youre buying a TRANSMISSION the n/a cars are all FWD. You need an AWD car to use the transmission.
I’ve bought a 1g tsi awd car and bought a turbo motor I got my answer on the topic so thank you to everyone. But I was looking at a n/a car for the transmission. Seeing as it won’t work not going to get it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back