The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Fwd street tire??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talontsi3

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2006
keene, New_Hampshire
Hey guys,
Well the nice weather is rolling around and its about time to take the winter tires off. I have been looking and looking for a good daily driving tire that will be able to take around 350hp without lighting up to bad. I do have a dual stage mbc so 1st and second gear will only see 15lbs from a e316g. last year I was running the kumho estca and they did ok but I was pretty much stock then. I want a tire that will be good all the way around dry wet. noise isnt really a problem thats why we have loud exhaust's and subs :thumb: . I was looking at the kumho ecsta MX's and also the falken fk451's. I have a 17 inch rim I was planning on 225-45 but if I could throw a 235 on that would be fine as well. Help would be great, thanks.
alex-

Really? Because I'm not too sure about the MX line anymore, refering to the conversation that was started in the middle of this thread.
I can't say that I'm surprised in the order of results from a car & Driver test....

One very important thing to point out is that the thread starter was looking for advice for good performing street tire, and the link you provided was an autocross tire test.

And like Darren stated, it's much more accurate to take advice from someone that has actually used them on a similar platform and for a similar purpose as yourself. Autocrossing a Benz with a dry tire on a wet course is not a very good test to see how they would perform as a street tire on a FWD DSM.

And another thing to keep in mind. That test was done to compare 11 different tires with each other. IMO, none of the tires performed poorly - just some better than others.

Interesting read though.

I mean come on, they rate the BF Goodrich KD as the second worst tire & we all know how poor of a performer that tire is :rolleyes: & the continental in second :toobad:
I was going to mention this exact same thing.

Hey guys I just picked up my tires today. I went with the mx's they look great, I went with the 235/45's my concern is that the tire kinda bulges out from the rim like it stick out further. Will this hurt my performance? I was reading and I saw that you really shouldnt go any bigger than 225's on a 17X7 rim.. But it was too late. I'm not sure what the offset it, I bought the rims off a buddy.. Thanks for the help!

Well luckly there is no rub, and the tires are great! They handle very good in the corners and stick to the pavement exp when they heat up. I definitely recommend these tires to anyone. Keep boostin-

I'm running 235/40's on 17's and I too am very happy.
The only thing is the speedo is off by 2 m.p.h. no big deal.
I had found a nice site where you can plug in the value of the stock tire size and then the
replacement tire and wheel and it will tell you how far off the spedo will be.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I had Kumho Ecsta's on my N/T Eclipse and they handled awesome in rain or dry roads. If you have even an inch of snow though you will crash right into a wall, terrible in snow.
I had 225/40/R17 Z-rated's and they were nice. Dont know too much about the newer brands, but Kumho has a rating for each of their tires on the Discount Tire website. Dont know if you want to pay that much, just an FYI

I havent ever spun 2nd or 3rd gear yet, I have full traction in those gears even at 16psi
on the e316g ( but I dont have a fmic or cams yet either, mods in profile ) but I can burn thru first gear and make a loud tire screeching noise when im doing it.

Im running Hankook 215/55/R16 93V ( Stock rims. ) on my gst for a year now and since I dont like to intentionally burn out a lot I still have real good tread and have only rotated the tires once.
Any other opinions/ experiences on these tires ?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back