The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Fwd street tire??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talontsi3

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2006
keene, New_Hampshire
Hey guys,
Well the nice weather is rolling around and its about time to take the winter tires off. I have been looking and looking for a good daily driving tire that will be able to take around 350hp without lighting up to bad. I do have a dual stage mbc so 1st and second gear will only see 15lbs from a e316g. last year I was running the kumho estca and they did ok but I was pretty much stock then. I want a tire that will be good all the way around dry wet. noise isnt really a problem thats why we have loud exhaust's and subs :thumb: . I was looking at the kumho ecsta MX's and also the falken fk451's. I have a 17 inch rim I was planning on 225-45 but if I could throw a 235 on that would be fine as well. Help would be great, thanks.
alex-

For a higher hp fwd I would have to recommend the Kumho MX's if budget is a concern. I did alot of research & for the money it seems they can't be beat in straight line traction, which is usually most important to us fwder's. The softer sidewall on the Kumho is defently a benefit in this department. BFG KDW or KD's get great reviews as well but they are a good amount more. The newer Bridgeston Potenza RE-01R defently looks like it would get the job done, but once again this is a much more expensive tire.

After a bunch of reading I went with the MX's, as last fall tirerack also had them on for $98 a tire in the 225/40/18 size I needed. I couldn't justify spending all the extra on another tire after everything I had read. Won't know for another month or so how much of a difference they make as my car is still in winter storage.

I switched from the Bridgestone Potenza SO-3's to the Kumho MX's three months ago. While the SO-3's were more responsive in the twists and turns the MX's are the clear winner for straight line grip.

Like daren p I got mine from Tire Rack for $81 apiece (stock size 205-55-16). I can't imagine beating them for the money. In addtion to the RE-01R's the Yokohama Advan Neova's have also gotten very good reviews on Tire Rack's website.

Have you considered doing poly motor mounts? They really do help.

I went with Avon Tech's last year since I was on a budget and as they are only about $100 a piece. On a warm day with warm tires I can give 90% throttle in first gear and they will hold. At the track I can go WOT with no worries (although I do run only mid-high 14's [bad launches I swear]). Currently I'm running 235-45-17. However, I don't know how they compare to more popular tires like Kumho's since these are the first "performance" tires I've ever purchased.

I just ordered a set of Nitto Invos. Check them out on www.Nittotire.com, from the reading and reviews, i think those are one of the best on the market, what do you guys think?

i just got a pair of bridgestone potenzas 235 45 17, they look like good grip is coming my way , just have to mount them on my 17's , i got 18's right now wrapped on kuhmo exstaz 225 40 18 i lite them up on 2nd "cruzing" just by flooring it :D so ill keep posting with new results this weekend
what do you guys think about potenzas?

I just ordered a set of Nitto Invos. Check them out on www.Nittotire.com, from the reading and reviews, i think those are one of the best on the market, what do you guys think?

Haven't read much on them but they look pretty bad ass. I wonder how the sidewall compares to others on the market, to know if its a more straight line or twisties oriented tire.

I Tried old school Falken azenis, the cheaters and they are great on my fwd. Not for rain though!

I live in socal and I use more water in my shower than it rains here but if you deal with alot of rain a tire that felt good all around was the Fuzion zri's cheap but actually pretty gripppy!

Thanks guys,
Yes I have def thought about poly motor mounts and I will be getting them, just not for a little bit, I will prob end up going with the mx's, They seem very resonable, My other question is should I go with 225-45's or 235-45's? I will be going with the kyb agx's and the pro kit drop, Will the 235's stick out to much, and do they make a noticable difference performance wise? thanks
alex-

I'm running 17 inch wheels with Kumho Ecsta Supra tires 235/40.
Also keep in mind the wheel offset is +40 and everything sits in the wheel well perfectly and no tire rub.
Also because of the tire size my speedo is off by around 4mph.

For cornering and wet traction there a great tire, but for off the line they seem to break loose easily if you don't control your throttle,"keep the throttle around 75% it won't break loose in 1st or 2nd". I let one of my friends try my car and he could not control 1st and
2nd and he smoked the tires every time.

I also have the stock 16 inch rims with Good Year Eagle HP's 205/55's and they grip better off the line,ok for wet traction but are not as good in cornering.

So all in all I guess you first need to decide are you going to be more concerned with straight line traction or handling/cornering?

I was thinking of trying Bridgestone,BF Goodrich or Yokohama as these are the top three sellers in my area. But bang for the buck I keep buying Kumho.

Hey burnxs, any chance you may wanna get those 18's off your hands when i see ya at the Layton meet;)

sorry pal not happening my ff7's look good on my ride im swaping the 17 of my pap's ride just because i got the tires w/75 % thread on them for free :sneaky:

For a higher hp fwd I would have to recommend the Kumho MX's if budget is a concern. I did alot of research & for the money it seems they can't be beat in straight line traction, which is usually most important to us fwder's. The softer sidewall on the Kumho is defently a benefit in this department. BFG KDW or KD's get great reviews as well but they are a good amount more. The newer Bridgeston Potenza RE-01R defently looks like it would get the job done, but once again this is a much more expensive tire.

After a bunch of reading I went with the MX's, as last fall tirerack also had them on for $98 a tire in the 225/40/18 size I needed. I couldn't justify spending all the extra on another tire after everything I had read. Won't know for another month or so how much of a difference they make as my car is still in winter storage.
I also recommend the MX's. It's been the best street tire I've ever ran on my FWD.

I, too, took advantage of last fall's sale on them. I picked up a set even though I didn't need them yet. They're still sitting in my closet upstairs waiting for this summer's roads. :rocks:

For anyone on a budget:

I decided last fall that there was no way I could be competitive (autoxing) on my heavy wheels and Falken ST115s. So I decided to get the cheapest performance rated tires I could find and save money for dedicated wheels/tires later. I bought a set of Nexen N3000's. They were about $100 each delivered for 255/35/18's, an incredibly good price. I have not seen any objective reviews but I am very pleased with their wet/dry performance. Even light snow wasn't too bad.

talontsi3, what are your wheel dimensions?

99gst_racer said:
I also recommend the MX's. It's been the best street tire I've ever ran on my FWD.

I, too, took advantage of last fall's sale on them. I picked up a set even though I didn't need them yet. They're still sitting in my closet upstairs waiting for this summer's roads. :rocks:

Really? Because I'm not too sure about the MX line anymore, refering to the conversation that was started in the middle of this thread.

Really? Because I'm not too sure about the MX line anymore, refering to the conversation that was started in the middle of this thread.

Personally I'd rather take first hand experience from other high HP DSM fwder's, then to believe somebody's elses test results, which aren't our vehicle specific & can have many factors affecting the outcome.

I'll be running the MX's in a couple weeks so I'll have some more input from another high HP fwd :thumb:

I did a quick read of the review & I don't think it make a good comparison for straightline traction, which is what were after. Going around a course fast & going fast in a straight line are two different things & just because the tire is good at one, defently doesn't mean it good at the other. We know the Kumho's have abit softer sidewall so I would think this would hurt them on a road course but this softer sidewall aslo makes them better for straightline traction. I mean come on, they rate the BF Goodrich KD as the second worst tire & we all know how poor of a performer that tire is :rolleyes: & the continental in second :toobad:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back