The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

2G FWD Manual Transmission Noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mauispyder

Proven Member
Jan 20, 2015
Kula, Hawaii
Hi guys, thanks for taking a look/listen, apologies if this is basic.
I've had some minor noises driving my 99 fwd since the clutch was changed a few months ago. Like a very light rubbing or grinding sound. I changed the front wheel bearings at the same time. So I'm not sure if the noise is tire/wheel related, bearing related, brake related or something else. I jacked up the car, transmission in neutral, brakes removed and spun the wheel hubs on both sides to assess bearings. Bearings sound and feel good. I did hear a light "corduroy" rubbing noise coming from the transmission when turning either hub. Kind of just sounds like gears turning but I didn't know if it is normal for it to be audible. Yes wheels spin in opposite direction when turned, yes it's the dames in gear as well. Normal or abnormal? Thanks for the help.

It's hard to tell cuz the birds are louder than the trans noise, but all I hear is gear mesh. Does it make the noise any time the car is rolling, in gear or not? If it's only in gear, try to discern if it is relative rpm or vehicle speed.

Might want to verify proper trans fluid level as well, could be slightly under/over filled.

Checked bearings and good. I'll recheck the fluid level. I suspect the gear mesh noise isn't unusual.i don't have any other manual cars to compare though. Thanks for your input, I'll put the wheels back on and go with it. Maybe recheck tread and balance. Cheers.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back