The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

FWD gears in a AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WFOVR4

Probationary Member
May 31, 2004
C/S, Colorado
I would like to put the FWD turbo gears (2nd-5th) in my Galant vr4 tranny for the lower ratios. Has anyone done this? Are the gears not as strong? How much can they handle? The car is a rally car so that is why I need the lower ratios. Thanks

Why would you want FWD gearing for rally? I think you are confused.

FWD gears are longer, meaning slower acceleration and a higher top speed.

Go to VFAQ.com. The ratios for a turbo 1G FWD are lower than a turbo 1G AWD manual. Remember jackass, the higher the number the lower the ratio. :laugh:

Thanks for kind words. Douchebag.

FWD has a much lower final drive ratio, which means what in order to get a taller overall ratio you'd need to run a set of FWD gears, with the AWD final drive. However, I am not sure if this is doable considering the size constraints of some areas of the transmission.

Would you like to tel me where I was wrong?

Overall, the total drive ratio of a FWD transmission is longer.

As such, if you wanted shorter ratios, you need FWD gears with AWD output gears.

Where is there wrong informaton in there?

I don't see you contributing much.

FWD has shorter individual gear ratios, and longer overall gear ratios due to the much lower final drive.

oldmopwater said:
All Jokes Aside 2nd And 3rd Might Work

That's more like it!

I'm going to go look in a spare tranny tomorrow, to see if there is any obvious problem. I really feel like you're going to run into issues with the gears on the ends, and I feel like you agree based on the statement above.

Like I said earlier, I want to run the FWD gears (just the gears in the tranny) in an AWD trans for the biger (slower overall speed) ratios. Do you know if there is a differance in the two, I would think I could just replace the gears in the gear stacks, every thing else will be kept the same.

Thanks for the entertaining thread, this has been interesting to watch!

Short answer; no it won't work at all.

The FWD tranny sends power from the gear set to the output shaft via 4th gear. Since 4th gear on the intermediate shaft always has power going through it, no matter which gear ratio is engaged, it is beefed up to handle continuous wear.

In the AWD tranny the power gear is 3rd, i.e. 3rd gear on the intermediate shaft mates with the center diff. 3rd is beefed up, not 4th. If you could somehow put a FWD 3rd gear in an AWD trans (you can't) it wouldn't be strong enough anyway.

Also since the 3rd gears have physically different sizes (AWD vs. FWD) you couldn't swap the gearset and expect 3rd to mate properly with the center diff.

As for swapping just one or two gears, only 5th can be swapped. Please don't ask me why, my fingers can't type that much in one sitting!

Wow, some one who knows what they are talking about. Thanks for the info man.

Great information Pnuemo. I had no idea the putput gear on a FWD was fourth, thank you!

actually u can put fwd gears into an awd but im not about to sit here all night and explain how

Just for the sake of curiosity I wouldn't mind hearing the short version. I don't need a detailed explaination since I don't plan on doing it anyway.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back