The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

FWD 5 speed turbo transmissions and front diffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoolinpos

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 13, 2008
Fraser, Michigan
Hey all,

So I have a little project brewing up in my noggin (this usually means bad ideas), and have some questions on the turbo FWD 5 speed transmissions. I'm looking for a way to be able to use an AWD intermediate shaft with the FWD transmissions, and I have found somewhere that this is possible IF you are using a 1990 to early 92 fwd trans.

My main questions is, is the front differential interchangeable between these 90-E92 transmissions and the rest of the years that accepts a larger diameter FWD driver's side axle?

My next question is, does anyone have one of these that's been sitting in their garage for 25 years collecting dust they wouldn't mind getting rid of? LOL

Thanks

Yes, you can put the early diff in the late trans. Probably need to swap over ring gear, and idk about the bearings. I can't remember if a early fwd has tapered rollers or not.

As for the intermediate shaft, maybe look into a 3000gt intermediate shaft. IDK about the length or the axle end splines, but the trans side will plug right into the late trans. then maybe slide the dsm i shaft bracket onto the 3k shaft.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back