The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

fuse tap for constant power through cranking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_0ney_pit

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 12, 2007
Easton, Pennsylvania
I just got done installing my AEM boost gauge. It needs to be calibrated at each powerup while at atmospheric pressure. So that eliminates ACC and IG2 for power for these types of gauges since they turn off during cranking. Sort of a shame because there is 2 unused IG2 fuse sockets and 1 unused ACC in the fuse box on the driver side.

What we want is IG1 I believe, the only sources for this on the 2g are the turn signals fuse 4 and cruise control system fuse 8. I have it hooked up to the turn signal fuse atm and the gauge is indeed powered through cranking.

Does anyone have a better idea on where to get switched power that is constant while the engine is starting and cranking.

Ignition-1 is definitely what you want.

Not to insult or disrespect what your doing, but being MECP certified and doing alarm and stereo installs for most my life fuse taps are a discouraged practice unless you are going for just a temporary type of install.

What i would recommend instead is a direct wire-tap from the ignition-1 wire under the dash using the below pictured techniques. It is definitely more solid and permanent and won't see any additional current draw or voltage drops from other accessories that a fuse tap would share it's spot with. :cool:

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    34.9 KB · Views: 288
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    28.1 KB · Views: 311
  • 3.gif
    3.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 267
  • 4.gif
    4.gif
    37.6 KB · Views: 353
  • 5.gif
    5.gif
    22.3 KB · Views: 256
Thanks turbodude. Just trying to get the facts straight. most of the info I found about hooking up electronic gauges says to tap the cig lighter or the MPI relay or another motor fuse and I didn't want to do any of this....especially not the cig light that runs off acc.

Glad i could help! Yeah, i've seen people install gauges before by tapping the constant power source for the turn signals and at night when they put there turn signals on you can see the lights in the gauge dim and brighten along the same rhythm of the blinkers relay, LOL. Anyway, take care. later :thumb:

You could also do something like I did, or rather need to re-do because the relay I tried using was bad. I ran two wires to a small switch in the cab and wired the switch to a relay that pulled power from the fuse box in the engine compartment (fog light fuse is where I am getting power from). All the fuses in the main fuse box are powered all the time. That way I can just turn it on before I start the car. This makes it easier when I swap my WB from my Talon to My STI for tuning. Right now the relay is bad though so I just unplug the fuse holder when I don’t need my WB on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back