The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Funny Working On Your DSM Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blurred Talon

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Paradise, NL_Canada
Post up any funny story/things that have happened while working on your DSM.

When my buddy and I where installing the TBE, we were all excited to hear the exhaust. So we crank the car over and I notice something is spraying out and I can smell fuel. I tell my buddy to kill it and he does but the car is still running!!
'WTF, turn it off!!'
'I did?!?!' Holds keys out.

Another few seconds of freaking out and then the car dies; oops, forgot about the turbo timer.

The spray was oil because we forgot to put the dipstick back in, d'oh!

I once spent two hours trying to figure out why my 1st DSM wouldn't start. I checked everything only to find out that I had no fuel in the tank :)

On my old 95 gst I put a front mount on. Well once everything was mounted and all the piping was ran I was excited. Needless to say it was running like crap. I look and realize my dumbass didnt put the maf and intake back on.

Not really hilarious but I just hooked up my stock fpr since my Aeromotive leaked from the box, started the car and I smelled fuel. So I got out and looked at the engine bay and all I see is fuel POURING out onto the ground.

In case you didn't know, you can in fact run and drive without a return line attached. It probably won't get you very far though.

:rolleyes:

Heres a good one....I was pulling a bad 14b and putting on a good one. I pulled the bad one off and I cleaned it up because I was going to rebuild it and sell it. I get the shiny new one put on and im taking it for a drive and I got on it in second. It only went to around 4 pounds. I pulled over real quick and turned up the mbc to no avail... I checked all vaccum lines and such. :hmm:When I got home I pulled the intake off the turbo inlet and see chewed up compressor wheel...:( I look over on my parts shelf at the other turbo and uh.....the good one is still sitting on the shelf..........:ohdamn:

Heres a good one....I was pulling a bad 14b and putting on a good one. I pulled the bad one off and I cleaned it up because I was going to rebuild it and sell it. I get the shiny new one put on and im taking it for a drive and I got on it in second. It only went to around 4 pounds. I pulled over real quick and turned up the mbc to no avail... I checked all vaccum lines and such. :hmm:When I got home I pulled the intake off the turbo inlet and see chewed up compressor wheel...:( I look over on my parts shelf at the other turbo and uh.....the good one is still sitting on the shelf..........:ohdamn:

Lol, pwned.

Yeah that was a rough day.....

One day my car wouldnt start and went through all the hassle of testing spark fuel and relays and what not. Thaught I had bad gas. So I drained the gas and then I put injector cleaner and fuel cleaner. And after two days of testing stuff. All I had to do was let it crank over for a few more seconds. I felt so dumb.

I once spent two hours trying to figure out why my 1st DSM wouldn't start. I checked everything only to find out that I had no fuel in the tank :)

Lmao same thing happend to me with my old 1g but it took us 2 days to figure it out-_-

I bought my 98 gs and had to replace both front hub assembelies. The guy before me had locknuts on all the wheels so me and my friend tried grinding them off, breaking them off, cutting them off, and welding a nut on it to break it loose but all attempts failed. I took it to the garage at Walmart and they used a Slam-Socket to get the 4 locknuts off. What a great invention. This was about 2-3 weeks ago. I was digging through my glove box monday...and found the freaking key for the locknuts. Just my luck haha

My friend got so paranoid about his DSM because he had to repair a motor damage twice.
He is listening to every sound on the car 😂 we all know that is a bad idea on a dsm it drives you crazy.
So he was telling me about a continous repeating clicking sound ...

...it was the windshield whipers relay 😂 it wasraining and it was on..

Shortly after re installing the latter half of my exhaust with a newly added muffler, along with some new stainless brake lines, I get her all buttoned up, bleed the brakes and take her for a spin…aside from LOVING the way the new exhaust sounds, I simply couldn’t place this weird sound that’s rpm dependent that I’ve never heard before, so I head back to the house and as soon as I walk in the kitchen it hits me…I FORGOT TO TORQUE THE LUG NUTS!!!:ohdamn::ohdamn:

Last edited:
I tried for well more than an hour to get my engine/transmission to line up with all the mounts this last weekend during install. Fought it and fought it. For some reason, the engine insisted on being TILTED FORWARD, towards the front of the car and wouldn't settle into the drivers side mount to save my life. :banghead:
I took a break, drank a beer, scratched my butt and looked at everything for it seemed like the fourth or fifth time, when I notice that the BACK ROLLSTOP bracket is on UPSIDEDOWN........:ohdamn: It had been on the engine stand that way for the last few years.....looked normal when it was on the stand.......ROFL
Senior Moment.......

I have seen "flickers" of light going by in front of my car before Jeremy and was thinking, am I seeing things.....what the hell is that sparkling thing I keep seeing???
Same as you, I forgot to tighten the lug nuts on the front of my 71 SS Camaro and those flickers were the lug nuts flying by. I stopped to see what was up, tightened the TWO THAT WERE LEFT, and Limped home at 10 mph. God that was when I was a teenager so a couple years ago......

I tried for well more than an hour to get my engine/transmission to line up with all the mounts this last weekend during install. Fought it and fought it. For some reason, the engine insisted on being TILTED FORWARD, towards the front of the car and wouldn't settle into the drivers side mount to save my life. :banghead:
I took a break, drank a beer, scratched my butt and looked at everything for it seemed like the fourth or fifth time, when I notice that the BACK ROLLSTOP bracket is on UPSIDEDOWN........:ohdamn: It had been on the engine stand that way for the last few years.....looked normal when it was on the stand.......ROFL
Senior Moment.......
With beer comes wisdom LOL:thumb:
🍺

Another lug nut story, but didn't end quite as well as others on here.
I could not figure out what that thumping sound was on my 30 minute drive into work. The noise went away on acceleration and braking. Went ahead and drove home that afternoon. About 5 minutes from home I made a zig zag turn going about 20mph due to a lane closure from construction. As I turn back left, BAM! Front right wheel goes flying off in front of me, across the oncoming lane of traffic and into the bar ditch. I managed to navigate through construction barrels on 3 wheels to get off the road.

Broke a couple lug studs. Messed up my fender pretty good and bent up the brake dust shield. I think I found 2 of my lug nuts on the side of the road a few hundred feet back and borrowed a lug from another wheel and carefully drove home.

Lesson learned. I'm religious about using a torque wrench on my lugs now.

Was building an engine for a circle track car that had to be up and running for the next weekend. In my rush to get it together I inverted the bearings on for the 5th main journal which blocked the oil hole from the main galley to the bearing. Unfortunately only made 5 laps and I could tell something was wrong. Bearing ended up spun on #4 rod and had to drive several hours to pick up another crankshaft. I'm sure I'll make many more mistakes but I won't do that one again. To add insult to injury my brother helped me tear the engine down and he was the one that figured out what I had done. Felt like a complete moron

Was installing new speakers in the Talon after blowing the 2 front OEM speakers. Car is parked on a concrete slab next to our shed that my dad keeps lawn equipment in. We see animals go under it all the time so we know it used a hiding spot.

Well, in broad daylight at 3 in the afternoon, an armadillo walks out from under the shed and accidentally bumps the back of my dads leg. This sucker was big too, about the height of our beagle and was definitely eating well.
Dad has a mini-freakout until he realizes what it is. I ran from the other side of the car just to see it saunter on by and waltz all the way to our backyard.
Not that funny but certainly the most interesting thing that happened.

Also, lugnut story. After putting my Evo 8 wheels on for the first time, drove to the store and realized I had the wrong lugnuts, they didn't have the shelf on them so the wheels may not have even been held on at all :toobad:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back