The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Full T-4

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talonted_one

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 15, 2002
Jacksonville, North_Carolina
Hello all, I have a delima. I have been listening to RDRKT and his thoughts on a proper turbo set up for a 4G64.And it just so happened to find a good deal on a full T4.

So my question is what should be the proper trim and housing sizes for a
4G64 motor that will have tolerable spool up( full boost at 4k) and be able to with good tuning hit 10s.

Do you think these goals are reasonable or do you think I'm still in the lil leagues. I have run some compressor maps but I'm not that familiar with this family of turbos.

Yes. 10 second passes, and full boost by 4000 do not belong in the same sentence! IF you want it by 4000, skip the T4!

Al

Originally posted by T6Rocket
Yes. 10 second passes, and full boost by 4000 do not belong in the same sentence! IF you want it by 4000, skip the T4!

Al

Full boost by 4K on a smaller, properly set-up T4 on a 4G64 is not unreasonable at all.

Been there, done that on a 4G63...

so any suggestions on trims or an adjustment on what I should be looking for?

DSSA, what where the specs to your turbo and what tyoe of performance did you get out of it?

T61 P-Trim in a .58 AR Tangential and Divided housing. That should get you there pretty easy. Then there is alway the PTE SC61 mated to a P trim turbine in a .58. You wold be suprised how fast a T78 (Think greddy) makes boost on a 2.4L.

jeff

Originally posted by swordfish
T61 P-Trim in a .58 AR Tangential and Divided housing. That should get you there pretty easy. Then there is alway the PTE SC61 mated to a P trim turbine in a .58. You wold be suprised how fast a T78 (Think greddy) makes boost on a 2.4L.

jeff

thanks for the input Jeff but the reason I was inquiring about the full T4 is, because I have the opprotunity to get one so I was curious about what I maybe getting into.

thanks and if you can get me a good deal on one Im game for getting one.

The one I used was a 57-trim with and o-trim exducer wheel in a tangential/divided .58 A/R exhaust housing.

I have a 57 trim T3/T04E currently at my disposal. Does anyone have any idea if I could have it made into a a 57 trim full T4? Or do would it be a good idea to just run that turbo and invest later on in a T4?

Yes, you can have it converted to a full T4 if you want. To keep that compressor you will have to run a turbine wheel with the smaller .250 shaft.

jeff

Originally posted by DSSA
The one I used was a 57-trim with and o-trim exducer wheel in a tangential/divided .58 A/R exhaust housing.

I was just curious to what type of performance I should look forward to as far as this choice of turbos?

Originally posted by swordfish
Fabbing up the downpipe is the biggest challenge.

jeff

Boy, ain't that the truth. I'm in the middle of doing just that right now with my Talon.

It doesn't help that the HKS cast manifold I'm using situates the outlet of the turbine housing too close to the alternator to avoid an extremely sharp bend to clear it. I'm talking a full 1-2 inches closer than the T3 manifolds out there. I said screw it and bought an alternator relocation bracket from Buschur so I can put the alternator at the back side of the engine, and am converting to a '90 air/oil oil cooler system so I can set the oil filter back another inch. That will provide the clearance to do a proper job on the downpipe.

And then there's the wastegate...

Finding a place to fit that damn mammoth HKS racegate is yet another story altogether. I'm dumping the power steering pump and I'll fab a bracket to mount the wastegate over there, and that'll work out pretty good with a nice straight-down run for the dump-tube, but getting the wastegate piping to the wastegate from under that HKS mani is no fun either. That balance shaft hump on the block with require "clearancing" of the piping coming off the wastegate piping flange underneath the manifold. I guess I could have avoided all this by using a different manifold, but there were not a lot of choices out there when I started this project, and it was down to a custom tubular manifold and the HKS. I ended up getting the HKS, and am determined to make it fit.

I can't say how many times I was going to just pitch the whole Idea of full T4 and just go with a Red, but I think it'll be worth it in the end. The divided turbine housing of a T4 with a well designed manifold will allow for a little larger A/R without completely trashing spooltime IMHO. If I were qualified to dispense advice (disclaimer: I am not) I’d say stick with a large T3/4 setup unless you want to be different enough to pay a premium for it. You'll go just as fast or faster, and spend less bucks and shed less knuckle flesh in the process.

Well I just wanted to let you guys know that my turbo search is over. I have opted to go with a full T4 set up and I hope to be running this car late this year(I'm a poor man now). So I will keep you guys up to date on my progress.

thanx for everyones input.

Originally posted by talonted_one
Well I just wanted to let you guys know that my turbo search is over. I have opted to go with a full T4 set up and I hope to be running this car late this year(I'm a poor man now). So I will keep you guys up to date on my progress.

thanx for everyones input.

Yeah.. Spill the beans already.

jeff

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back