The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Fuel vent line leak?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouche Dag

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 23, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
The past few days I've noticed a profuse gasoline smell in my garage. My fuel feed and return lines are both new -6an stainless braided.

I think I've narrowed down the culprit to the hard line shown in the pic (the one in between the brake lines and the fuel feed/return lines.

Is this the tank vent line? Can I just dremel off the suspect portion and slip a rubber line over it and clamp?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1345044938570.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345044938570.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 124
did you delete the evap canister and leave that line unplugged. Also some stainless lines will allow fuel vapors to escape and you will smell gas.

I would not suggest dremmeling the pipe as it will create sparks and would hate to see you explode. use a small pipe cutter. the tube is very thin and it will take 2 seconds to cut through with the proper tool.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

did you delete the evap canister and leave that line unplugged. Also some stainless lines will allow fuel vapors to escape and you will smell gas.

I would not suggest dremmeling the pipe as it will create sparks and would hate to see you explode. use a small pipe cutter. the tube is very thin and it will take 2 seconds to cut through with the proper tool.

The line is unplugged (and evap stuff removed) but the smell is for sure coming from the area pictured. Good to know about the SS lines allowing vapors to escape. I will get a proper cutting tool next time I'm at harbor freight and remove the suspect section and replace with rubber...

I figured out that the stainless steel lines are allowing the fuel vapors to escape. I guess it's time to upgrade to some teflon lined hose...

I figured out that the stainless steel lines are allowing the fuel vapors to escape. I guess it's time to upgrade to some teflon lined hose...

I just reworked by fuel feeds/returns with -6an SS lines! (as many other have done on here.) Is there certain makes of SS lines which allow vapors to escape? I know there are different manufactures of SS lines, but it would be good to know which type of SS line you used. I was told that they ones I bought were 'fuel rated'. Who makes your lines?

Thanks for sharing!

I got my lines from summit. They just need to be Teflon lined and they won't allow vapors to escape.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back