The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Fuel Tank Stud?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97gsxturbo97

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 19, 2008
Woburn, Massachusetts
While removing the fuel tank on my 90 awd one of the tank bolts snapped and took the stud with it. Its the driverside one closest to the front of the car. Does anyone know what size stud it is or how to go about replacing it. I searched for hours and everything that comes up talks about the sending unit studs and not the actual tank problems. I cannot be the only one to have done this on a 1G. If all else fails Im thinking of popping the stud out and replacing it with a nut and bolt.

the same thing actually happened with me except i broke 4 :mad: i havent decided what to do either but i have it all rtv sealed good for the meantime. post up what you do end up doing though

I am trying to visualize what you did? Did you rtv the tank to the frame? I dont get it. I am talking about the bolts and studs that mount the tank to the body of the car.

Mine came with 5 broken already with a makeshift thing to hep hold it. But its ok because i have to take it off and replace the tank and lines because they have rust in them. Im just ganna replace the whole thing.

On my fwd I was able to drill out the stud and reach my hand up into the frame to put a new bolt in. Haven't dropped an AWD tank though.

I have 5/6 busted on my car after the fuel pump went bad. I was searching for gas tank then came up with another idea. I first trimmed each stud flat as I could then put a punch on the center of the stud. I carefully drilled through and stepped them up to each bit until it was large enough to put in a stainless screw through from the inside of the tank. I JB welded these into place got a now sending unit gasket and have not had a problem. In fact my car now will hold pressure and drop slowly over about 20 mins.

Enjoy the pics.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grind them flat and just weld bolts to the frame.
......hes not talking about the fuel pump hanger small studs or sending unit

You can call JNZ and get new OEM studs. I recently ordered ever nut, built, washer to replace everything on the rear subframe and to install a JM Fab fuel cell.

Thanks and good call. Well if you have to fix your sending unit and cannot find one the above method works well. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back