The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Fuel system setup help PLEASE

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qwerty

Probationary Member
May 5, 2014
Williamson, New_York
Hello Guys,

I am a new DSM owner and native 420a owner. I have a 98 Eclipse N/T. I also have an ebay turbo kit. I am wondering what fuel setups do I need to run 4 psi, do I need injectors and upgrade my fuel pump? I also read something about a return fuel line, and spark plug gapping. I do have a 2.5 full header back exhaust system to complement the turbo. I am not looking to make a race car, I would like it to be close to my wife's 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. :thumb:

Hello Guys,

I am a new DSM owner and native 420a owner. I have a 98 Eclipse N/T. I also have an ebay turbo kit. I am wondering what fuel setups do I need to run 4 psi, do I need injectors and upgrade my fuel pump? I also read something about a return fuel line, and spark plug gapping. I do have a 2.5 full header back exhaust system to complement the turbo. I am not looking to make a race car, I would like it to be close to my wife's 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. :thumb:

Return the Ebay turbo kit. I have no clue why people invest there money into these. :confused:

Me not knowing to much about a 420a, id say just swap fuel setup from a 4g63.

I read that these motors can handle up to 8psi reliably on stock internals?

There's a few things you need as well to run a turbo on a 420a. Turbo oil feed and return, fuel system to support the extra airflow, something to tune it all with! I say you start researching more and find the guys who have done a turbo 420a on here and get some help/advise! And yes please don't put that egay so called turbo paper weight on your car if you like it at all and want it to stay a running car LOL! Quoted "I built one and the parts list came up pretty high. Megasquirt ecu custom tune head studs turbo fmic piping turbo manifold aeromotive fpr bigger injectors lightweight pistons eagle rods clevite bearings. Polish your crank." Another quote "I got about $4500 into the turbo kit and everything needed to boost 8psi properly.I drive the car every day(about 300miles a week).I haven't had any pinging or motor issues and I open her up every once and awhile.My bottom end is completely stock!!!Compression is sill perfect after 4 years of boost.I do change the oil religiously and use seafoam before every oil change.dont let the 4g guys discourage you!" Just search here and any 420a site tons of info bro tons!! ;)

Thanks guys! you are all really quick at answers ! this site rocks. My friend recommended it.

Most eBay kits come with knockoff Garrett's which can blow within 150 miles.

For running 4psi on a 420a you are fine on stock internals. Stock block will hold 8psi, I've pushed 12 once on stock 420a block, not that I would recommend anyone to ever do this.

Like stated you will need a way to run oil to the turbo, you can get a squash plate which fits with your ofh and can feed to the turbo, then tap in a drain plug. I would also get an oil cooler and catch cans to help with extra crank case pressure caused by additional blow by from the turbo pressure. If your engine is miled chances are your piston seals aren't the greatest.

For engine management get a wide band, fuel pressure regulator and megasquirt at the least.

thanks Mi"sma
any other 420A Guys?

so maybe megasquirt and/or FCD?

why do some 420

why do some 420a cars run these?

for 4-6psi grab,
wideband,
AEM FIC (piggyback fuel and ignition controller),
srt4 stage 0 fuel injectors.
Ebay turbo kit is fine, just make sure you have the proper sized oil feed restrictor and your oil return comes into your oil pan above the oil level. Lately, ebay chinachargers are much more reliable than precision turbos ROFL

For oil feed, T off your oil pressure sensor
Also grab a brake booster check valve from a turbocharged car (pressurizing the booster can cause loss of brakes)
Get oil catch can.
BKR7E NGK plugs (1 step colder)
stock coil pack/wires are fine.
stock fpr is fine
stock fuel pump is fine (for your needs)

Wow, all 3 you guys just have PTEs blow up on you? What a weird coincidence.
Mine must be 1 in a million cause its over 4500 miles and seen plenty of pulls over 30psi. Doing just fine.
Guess im lucky right?

No i have not had one blow up on me, but i did have a bb 6152R that i sold in favor of holset purely due to bolt on setup gains at the time.

Ive considered a 6466 CEA, however FP now offers a similar turbo and has many less failure rates.

Only reason I'd be switching from holset to FP is due to the transient response/quicker of the bb gt cartridge, and a 950whp rating in a larger t3 turbine housing than is offered in the holset line up.

I just dont like pte, their customer service has been ass for me and same with their tech support.

With that said, I'd still buy a pte turbo over an ebay/godspeed/etc turbo

But this is about OP's fuel setup for his 420A

precision used to use garrett center sections then a deal fell thru with garrett and now they're using no-name centers. Also their customer service is a joke. I've either ran, tuned, or known people running precisions with similar results lately (blown up, nuts backing off, bearing failure with less than 1000 miles, etc) . The older precisions are good, new are junk. I've ran ebay chinachargers for years with MUCH better longevity.
As far as reliability. i personally believe holset and genuine borg warners are top. There is actually a guy in the US building knock-off borg warners built to borg warner specs that are pretty good (I'm running one in my cummins @ 40psi) but I'm holding my breath to see how well they are actually made

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back