The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Fuel smell after driving with no leaks

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myk984g63

Proven Member
Oct 8, 2020
Bakersfield, California
Recently upgraded fuel filter, injectors, pump and fuel lines without any leaks. After driving around for a while over the past couple days, when I get home and put it in my garage it smells like fuel really bad for couple hrs after it's parked. Any specific reason why?

Did you remove the tank vent from the engine bay by anychance while doing lines etc. That can cause this smell. This is the main job of the charcoal canister but as long as the tank vent is under the car it should not be too bad of a smell.

Check all the oem lines incase you left anything un connected and check the fuel tank also as if you did fuel lines from the tank it might be coming through the seal under the seat

This has happened to me a few different times, all at different locations. First time, I messed up the large tank seal for the fuel pump. Second time, blew out a lower injector seal. Third time, a crack in the upper portion of the fuel fill neck.
Follow the nose. Go over what you replaced and run you hand under each fitting. A small amount of gas smells strong so it doesn’t have to be a large leak.
This is your best bet. Go over everything you worked on and look/smell for leaks. If you don't find anything, look over the fuel feed and return lines.

Something else that happened that's pretty strange is when I go to use my blinker it doesn't blink it just stays on solid until I turn the blinker off and then it goes off. The fuses are good, could it be a relay and if so where is that located at?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back