The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

fuel purge selonoid

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoman358

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 29, 2005
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
I was just wondering if you can safely remove the fuel purge selonoid. Mine is missing from when i swapped motors and i just wanted to know if i can start it that way or if its nessicary to have it plugged in.

fuel purge solenoid? All I know of is a fuel pressure solenoid, im not sure about the other one, maybe your talking about something related to the charcoal canister thing. Give some more details?

i think i do mean fuel pressure selonoid. ill need to find it right, or steal a new one from the junk yard.

Yes, the fuel pressure solenoid can be safely removed, along with the other solenoid(s) next to it on the firewall if the whole "emissions" thing isn't quite your cup of tea ;).

Its main purpose is to adjust fuel pressure on HOT starts - one more useless part on our cars courtesy of good 'ol Diamond Star Motors (haha, j/k). The only inconvenience is that you'll need to find somewhere else to tap your boost gauge. I just cut the main FPR vac line in two and placed a T connector in the middle of it.

See pics below for various vacuum settings. One has everything removed, one illustrates partial removal, and the last one illustrates stock setup. All three possibilities are perfectly safe (though may cause you to fail emissions. hint hint)

hey femme,
question for ya. I was lead to believe that the FPS was meant for hot starts, not cold starts. The concept (blocking vacuum on startup) that we both know is concurrent, but I thought fuel pressure was raised on hot starts because of potential vapor lock. opinions?

blcknspo0ln said:
I was lead to believe that the FPS was meant for hot starts, not cold starts.

You know what, you are absolutely right. That's what I get for thinking about 5 other things while posting....

Edited my post above...Chalk it up to a blonde moment. haha.

Soo what do you get by removing the FPS?
gain? loss? nothing?
I still have mine in but on hot starts I keep getting a CEL for it.

Could I suggest on the diagrams that the pressure source of the MBC tap be moved to the outlet elbow where the nipple is blocked off?

Tapping at the BOV line has been proven to cause issues with the function of the BOV, also using a TurboXS style controller tapped in the BOV line would create a vacuum leak.

I know the diagrams were being used to show removal of the solenoids located on the firewall, but I'm sure you would want them to be up to date and show the best way of routing everything.

i dont think its required to run a fps solenoid on our cars.
I dont have one, ( but mines is in rebuild state ) so cant say Ive really driven it yet.
I know our fuel pressure has to rise on a 1:1 ratio with boost.

I just hooked the fp vacuum hose straight to the intake manifold directly without running it to the fps.
( Sort of how is done on an n/t) I believe its only for cold start ups.
And my boost gauge is tapped to the P on the intake manifold, even though some ppl believe its the least accurate I think its the safest.

Also i ditched the egr stuff, all those egr solenoids, a whole bunch of useless vacuum hoses dangling around,
and I am soon going to remove the FIAV, ( the coolant lines from the thermostate housing an coolant pipe which route to the tb. Im going to just loop them together and block shut the tb holes for them. )

Thanks for all the help guys, i tought it could be removed but someone was telling me otherwise. I completely forgot about those diagrams, ive seen them before, i should have looked at those before posting. Thanks again.

The same question arises when asked about removing EGR's. With the FPS, however, removing it serves no purpose, nor gain. The FPS is there to help you with hot starts and by removing it, you are taking away that help. So, why not just keep it in if it's not giving you any trouble?

Also, if you are triggering a CEL, it's probably because it came undone if you were messing with it. Plug it back up securely and reset your ECU.

if you are going to run a fps make sure its plugged in or your fp may not operate correctly since like i said it has to raise fuel pressure on a 1:1 ratio and may cause it not to and you could run lean on boost. I think you either have to have it hooked up correctly, or delete the fps completely and just hook the fp vacuum hose directly to the manifold.
I dont know of any differences though.

And on another thought, the n/t cars dont run with a fps and there fp vacuum hoses go straight to the manifold. You say the fps is provided to help with hot starts ( which I thought was for cold starts? ) well why dont n/ts need them. Does it have to do with the injector resistor pack for low impendance injectors on turbo cars or something?

Basically why wouldnt a n/t 4g63 car need a fps, and also can you confirm its only for hot starts and not cold?

Yes, the fuel pressure solenoid can be safely removed, along with the other solenoid(s) next to it on the firewall if the whole "emissions" thing isn't quite your cup of tea ;).

Its main purpose is to adjust fuel pressure on HOT starts - one more useless part on our cars courtesy of good 'ol Diamond Star Motors (haha, j/k). The only inconvenience is that you'll need to find somewhere else to tap your boost gauge. I just cut the main FPR vac line in two and placed a T connector in the middle of it.

See pics below for various vacuum settings. One has everything removed, one illustrates partial removal, and the last one illustrates stock setup. All three possibilities are perfectly safe (though may cause you to fail emissions. hint hint)

The picture is not coming up for me on the attached image. Is there any way for me to find this diagram? can someone post a link to this same image?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back