The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Fuel Pump works, but doesn't turn on??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mace01

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 17, 2003
Geneseo, Illinois
Hey everybody,
I've got a little problem bugging me here. My 91 Plymouth Laser turbo ran great up until about a week ago, when I went down to start it, and it turned over perfectly, but wouldn't start. I couldn't hear the fuel pump prime when I turned the key to the on position, so I figured that was the problem. Later that day, I was able to start the car and drive it perfectly except for one time that it started only about halfway, then choked and died, so I cranked it again and it was fine.

Now it will not start again. I listened for the pump when a friend turned the key to on, nothing. When I supplied power directly to the pump through the connector on the pump itself, I heard it whirring, but the car still wouldn't start. I seem to be getting no voltage from the stock battery at that connector however. Nothing happened when I tried the fuel pump check connector (or what I thought was the fuel pump check connector), so I'm stumped. I guess I'll pull the ECU and see if any capacitors are leaking. Any other ideas for things to check or try??
Thanks,
Jeff :laser:

CHECK YOUR TIMING BELT!!!!!!

i just had the same problem last night, checked the fuel pump and everything, but at closer examination i found that i had shredded some teeth off of my timing belt. (you will have to take off both the upper and lower timing belt covers and look though the wheel well to see if some of the teeth are missing (unless your timing belt is completely gone).

anyway hope this helps (and hopefully i didn't bend any valves in the process) i am in the process of putting the timing belt on now (it is a bi*** but luckly i have some mechanic relatives who have mechanic friends thare are helping me) anyway, hope this helps

*edit* just reread your original post and so mine might not be pertenant, didn't notice the part about you supplying electricity directly to the fuel pump, but it still might be something to keep in mind for you or anyone else that reads this

I pulled out the relay and checked it according to the Haynes manual. It performed flawlessly, also pulled out the ECU and opened it up, couldn't see anything wrong there. Any other suggestions??? One that might help is noing a wiring diagram of the fuel pump circuit. Where does the wire suppying power to the fuel pump go through the car? Also, does the test connector go directly to the fuel pump or through some relay? Is this problem solved by doing a fuel pump rewire and if so, would I lose gas milage (just a question, I'll take performance over milage any day).

Thanks,
Jeff:laser:

Anyone have any answers? I know there's lots of knowledge out there.

Okay, here's a little update. I checked the connector that attaches to the fuel pump and it was fine. Also, I can hear the relay clicking on and off. I'm thinking that it might be the ecu or the wiring between the ecu and the fuel pump. Could someone at least tell me the path the electricity takes? Is it ecu, relay, then fuel pump or what?

Please help,
Jeff

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back